milk vs formula

My husband says babies back in the days only drank regular milk. He wants to know why the babies these days need formula? We have a 5 month old and doesn't know why we must buy the super expensive formula when he can drink regular milk.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:38 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• because milk doesn't have the nutrients that formula does
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 1:39 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• There is alot more nutrients in formula for the 1st year of life. It helps their brain, body, and a lot of other things. Do not just do milk until after 1 year old. I know its expensive but its worth what you get out of it for your baby. Try buying from a Warehouse store like Costco or Sams Club if you have one. You pay a better price and you get a bigger container.
    NAT24ROXY24

Answer by NAT24ROXY24 at 1:40 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Yeah that was the "olden days"

Today we have technology and do research and have found that formula is much better for brain development. But its your child so do whatever you want.
    Anonymous

• cow's milk is also not easily tolerated by a baby's sensitive tummy. Introducing it too early can cause milk allergies or can give baby a sore tummy.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 1:43 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• tell him it's cheaper than going to the ER when your baby has a bad reaction to cow's milk or gets malnourished.
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 1:44 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Or, hey you could have done breast milk which is FREE!
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 1:48 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Most babies were actually breastfed in the old days. If their mother could not nurse them for whatever reason, a wetnurse did. Cows milk can also cause kidney failure due to the large amount of protein. Cows milk is for baby cows. Formula has been modified to be safe for human babies. The babies who drank cow's milk often became ill and the milk was still modified.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 1:49 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• A baby would not have long term effects or be malnourished if they were on just milk. There are babies out there today that are on just cow's milk and they are just fine. Formula is better because it has added vitamins. With the passing years has come the knowledge that babies benefit from extra vitamins that cow's milk does not contain. It is a small period of time that your baby is on formula so stick with it. The benefit far outweighs the cost.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 1:51 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• my wife jumped to the wrong conclusion about what I said. I did not say that we should buy our child regular milk. I was eating pudding and jokingly offered him some, she freaked and said the milk would harm him. I said that babies survived before formula on milk. I think the Question should be , should my wife lighten up about the baby?
    Anonymous

• Sounds like your husband needs to get educated he don't know squat obviously..Tell hi to ask Dr. spock???lol
    Anonymous