Hmm, maybe some school staff need to revisit the classroom ...

Hempstead Public School Reading List Riddled With More Than 30 Errors

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. — A Long Island school district has released a summer reading list riddled with spelling errors.

F. Scott Fitzgerald's "The Great Gatsby" is misspelled as "The Great Gypsy." And author Emily Bronte is listed as Emily Bonte.

According to Newsday and News 12 Long Island (), those are just a few of the more than 30 errors on the list provided by the Hempstead Public Schools. http://bit.ly/13K9UKg

In a statement, a member of the New York State Department of Education's Board of Regents said the mistakes indicated that a stable administration was essential for children to get a good education. The statement said, "Hempstead has not had a stable administration for a long time and the kids are suffering."

Hempstead Superintendent Susan Johnson didn't immediately return a call for comment.

___

Information from: Newsday, http://www.newsday.com

It's tempting to shake your head and wonder what's going on in New York, but as a proofreader of educational materials, I can tell you it's all over the place. I spent way too much time this morning trying to explain the difference between "along" and "a long" to a district employee from St. Louis.

Have you noticed errors in your children's school materials? Would you find it hard to encourage your children to spell well and proofread their work if they were handed a summer reading list that included "The Great Gypsy" and "The Lovely Bone"?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 3:07 PM on Jul. 15, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• This does not surprise me. Years ago I refused to allow my son to copy and preprinted paragraph. It was punishment for some infraction of the rules. It was misspelled and grammatically incorrect. I told the teacher to correct the paragraph and he would write it. It was a major fight with us with the principal and then the school board.
    I "won"
    I ended up rewriting all of their stupid affirmations because they were all wrong
    Teacher and a vice principal ended up fired over that one.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:40 PM on Jul. 15, 2013

• QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 3:18 PM on Jul. 15, 2013

• shoot...ive got 2 university professors that cant spell for a flip either. its pathetic how many times ive gotten a syllabus and the class title isnt even spelled right! i think most ppl are just too lazy to take the time to proof read things before they hand them out.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 4:04 PM on Jul. 15, 2013

• I am not a bit surprised. I have found errors all over the place, what with putting 4 children in the government school system.

What I do NOT understand, is that, according to the article a competent staff is dependent upon a stable administration? So, it's OK if the staff can't spell worth crap, since the administration is not too stable?
    29again

Answer by 29again at 11:44 PM on Jul. 15, 2013

• I agree that is disgraceful but does not reflect the other Schools on the Island which are Excellent. That is partly why our cost of living is so incredibly high. QuinnMae's response is about NYC Schools as well not Long Island. Actually, four Long Island Schools ranked among the Nations best:

http://www.longisland.com/articles/05-11-12/four-li-high-schools-ranked-among-nations-best.html

One bad apple doesn't spoil the whole bunch!

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:34 PM on Jul. 15, 2013

• shoot...ive got 2 university professors that cant spell for a flip either.

Try a BFA, outside the typography prof, the rest would be dead without auto-spellcheck.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:29 PM on Jul. 15, 2013