Have to mow and I have bunnies in my yard.

I don't know how to make these little buggers stop making bunny holes in my yard. I have to mow and now I have to get the babies out of the hole before doing so and put them in something to contain them so I can return them to their little den after mowing. My lawn is already super long since being on vacation and I can't put it off any longer. I hate doing this.

How do you stop wildlife from making their homes in your yard? I don't mind handling them as I know the mother will come back to care for them (I have done this in years past), and they are large enough to run and scatter if they sense the mower coming. I have no choice otherwise I would just leave them alone for the time being.

QuinnMae

Asked by QuinnMae at 3:31 PM on Jul. 15, 2013 in Home & Garden

• My parents have a lot of rabbits and prairie dogs around their house. They bought an ultrasonic device that they plug in outside, and it's supposed to make sounds that are off-putting to rodents and small animals. I don't think it's been completely successful, but it has helped some.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:35 PM on Jul. 15, 2013

• I have all kinds of little critters in my back yard, I have foxes, and squirrels, snakes, geckos, I also have mice that my cats every once in a while kill and leave me their corpse at my door as a gift.....you can't really stop them but learn to live around them, this is what I do. The sound of the lawn mower will make them hide, no need to do anything but mow that lawn...

Answer by older at 3:44 PM on Jul. 15, 2013

• They will go in the den and safety or they will run. You do not really need to do anything at all. You might see if you can get some cat hair from friends, when they brush the cats and put it around the yard and especially in existing dens
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:33 PM on Jul. 15, 2013

• more than likely they will stay in the den to hide. We have all kind of critters making homes on our land. We still cut the hay with the tractor, the animals will move.
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 3:33 PM on Jul. 15, 2013

• Hasenpfeffer! JK :) The little stinkers will just hide. Maybe even run far away when they hear the mower. My Son & DH go every spring to our local Nature Preserve. They volunteer to relocate the turtles to safety so they can mow the property. It's so cute with all the little ones searching for turtles & there are tons of them. They are tagged & put back where they are found too.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 4:54 PM on Jul. 15, 2013

• This is not a problem I've ever come across so I have no advice but good luck!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:07 PM on Jul. 15, 2013

• I have a cat that occasionally brings home a bunny (there are tons of them in the fields around here) and eats it. I can assure you that I have no burrows in my garden - they all stay at a safe distance!
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 3:51 AM on Jul. 16, 2013

• One ran yesterday when we were looking in to see if the holes were occupied. DH had a few scatter last year when he was mowing as well. The holes are not very deep and are pretty open on top. I don't want the mower to suck them up or for them to try to run when I get too close to the holes. I have taken other litters out and put them in a container (large tote) with their litter mates and some of the grass and fur from their holes and returned them after mowing with good results, I just hate moving them.

The ultrasonic thing sounds interesting. Might work perfectly for my backyard. Does it keep birds away as well? That would be an added bonus.

It seems I get a break from mowing today. It was raining again when I went outside. I hope I don't get a letter from my HOA.
    QuinnMae

Comment by QuinnMae (original poster) at 3:43 PM on Jul. 15, 2013

• So, I checked the bunny hole before mowing today. It was empty so I figured that Mommy-Bunny moved her babies to a better place. I started mowing and over in the corner of the yard by the fence the bunnies started to scatter and one almost ran under the blade. I stopped the mower and had to put them in a tote to keep them safe. They couldn't figure out how to go under the fence and kept trying to jump on it. Mom bunny came to see what was going on. After mowing I put them under the fence where I have seen the mom bunny go in the heat of the day or when she get's scared. The babies can get out, but now that the grass is mowed I won't have to worry about them for a while. I think in another week they should be a pretty good size and have enough experience to know to go under the fence. In the meantime I am going to look into the ultrasonic thing Ballad mentioned. Thanks y'all!

QuinnMae

Comment by QuinnMae (original poster) at 2:51 PM on Jul. 16, 2013