I guess im never going back to school :(

well unless i can miraculously pull the tuition out of my ass.

got an email today from the district FA department that i filled out the wrong form. i filled out the form the stupid lady at my campus gave me! she noticed it was the wrong year when i brought it back so she simply scratched it out in red ink and wrote the right year.

that form was submitted and denied but at first, it wasnt because it was the wrong year. it was because my completion rate is too low (i only completed two classes in the span of 3 years)

well now its because it was the wrong year. so now they want me to submit another form under the correct year. AND they also want to know why i wasn't successful in 2005. EIGHT years ago? are you fucking serious? idk WHY it's their business at all considering we paid out of pocket back then! i have no idea why i dropped out in 05, it was only a year after graduating high school, before i had kids, i probably just didn't give a damn! but they wont accept that. cant they just evaluate the fact that i DID go back and look at the reasons why i didnt complete in 2008?

so fucking irritated. i guess the govt of FL doesnt want single mothers to stand on their own two feet financially.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 4:10 PM on Jul. 15, 2013 in Money & Work

• Just make up some damn crap. Write an impassioned essay about how you were a dumb teen that didn't value education, but now that you are a mom, you want to make a better life for your kids. They eat that kind of bullshit right up.

Make sure to talk about being a single mom and wanting to teach your daughters to not depend on a man. Blah, blah, blah.

Big hugs!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:18 PM on Jul. 15, 2013

• I think we can help you figure this out.
    Are we talking about FAFSA?
    If they wont accept- I just didnt care are there actual options to select from?

They are concerned about completion rates so they know the money will be well invested
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 4:18 PM on Jul. 15, 2013

• There are a lot of hoops to be jumped through to get aid or loans. I guess it depends on how badly you want to go back to school as to how much red tape you are willing to endure.
    GL
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:22 PM on Jul. 15, 2013

• I'm sorry this is turning out to be such a hassle for you! Is there someone else at the school guidance office you can talk to? It sounds like you got hold of an idiot, or a lazy person, the first time, but usually there are more counselors available. Go back and try to find one who knows what he or she is doing.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:28 PM on Jul. 15, 2013

• I agree with Ballad, don't give up on it! it can be done!!!!!!!!

Answer by older at 4:33 PM on Jul. 15, 2013

• Ok- instead of going through the school, it may be in your best interest to contact them directly.
    This link and then this one make it seem as if the decision based on completion is up to the school. Not FAFSA

have you spoken to one of the counselors about the difficulty you are having? They may be better at pointing you in the correct direction. When I was trying to get into school I had to have the head of the Aid department AND a counselor coordinate everything. They told me who I needed to talk to and in what order, they also told me what I needed to say.

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 4:40 PM on Jul. 15, 2013

• dang really? that's stupid. I just got my FASFA, they are going to pay for 2 more semesters that I know of. Already paid for 2...I'd do it myself online if I were you.
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 4:51 PM on Jul. 15, 2013

• I have the same problem mama, except different circumstances. My plan was to go to school when all of my kids were in school full time. That is happening this year, but I can't afford to go to school and my husband makes to much for me to qualify for any help. UGH

Good luck, I hope something works out for you!
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 5:11 PM on Jul. 15, 2013

• SB- that is what i wrote for 2008. well, for the most part. i got married to a soldier, had two kids and moved out of state. there was no reason for me to go to school or work at the time because he took care of everything. i also told them how im a single mom now and want to be a better mom for my kids.

feral- yes the FAFSA. ill resubmit it for the correct year and write another explanation for 2005 but i dont feel like its going to work :(
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 4:22 PM on Jul. 15, 2013

• i do want to go back, i had all the details worked out as far as childcare and study time and all that. its just adding more stress because they're being very slow to get back to me on everything and classes start aug. 20th so the clock is ticking.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 4:25 PM on Jul. 15, 2013