How long is it normal to still have very small amounts of breast milk after weaning?

I haven't nursed a baby in 3 years and I do have an 8 month old but I never breastfed her. I'm still producing very very small amount, I could probably get a few tablespoons if I tried. My biggest problem is that I still get letdown randomly and my letdown reflex still feels like passing broken glass through my milk ducts. No I don't have thrush it's nerve pain, long story but nerve pain is just part of my life.

Is this normal and is there maybe something herbal or OTC to stop it? They don't use milk suppressants anymore and I can't take birth control pills because I have a clotting problem.

P.S. yes I've already tried sudafed and nothing on this planet could convince me to relactate.

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 5:18 PM on Jul. 15, 2013 in General Parenting

• I dunno if it works but there is a 'No more milk tea' I saw once at an herbal shop.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:40 PM on Jul. 15, 2013

• Quite normal. It can take years to dry up, and sudafed often doesn't work anyway. Estrogen birth control DOES, however.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:56 PM on Jul. 15, 2013

• I'm not sure what is available, but I think I saw an herbal remedy to help dry up milk at www.motherlove.com.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:06 PM on Jul. 15, 2013

• Back in the day they would bind your breasts for a certain amount of time so that the binder would help express anything left....Its a supply and demand thing....Having a younger baby can simulate the milk as well when they cry...
    hau_siyoka

Answer by hau_siyoka at 4:00 PM on Jul. 17, 2013