1 mo. old constipated. Help please

So my 1 mo. old DS is on formula, the Gerber good start Soothe. He's not colicky but he's fussy when he tries to have a bowel movement. You can tell he really struggles having a BM. I'm not exactly sure I want to keep switching formulas but I'm about to try the Similac Sensitive. Have any of you had this issue and what helped you? I've heard adding flaxseed oil to his bottles could help or I've heard gentlease is supposed to be good for constipation. I've also heard to try pedialyte for infants or try a soy formula. But I've read that Soy could actually make constipation worse. I just want a good formula that will help my baby with development and immunity and help keep his gassiness down while also not making it hard on him to have a BM. I would really appreciate any input you ladies can give me!

mandi_m

Asked by mandi_m at 3:25 AM on Jul. 16, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Can you breastfeed? I heard thats the best
    lullaby572

Answer by lullaby572 at 6:30 AM on Jul. 16, 2013

• It's only constipation if it comes out hard. It's normal for a baby that age to go up to 10 days without a BM. Babies that age are gassy and fussy. You just have to get through it. Good luck.

mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:18 AM on Jul. 16, 2013

• What does the doc say??
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 7:24 AM on Jul. 16, 2013

• Yes, what does the pediatrician have to say?? He/she can probably give you samples before you go out and buy a can of everything. I suspect it might be the formula. I would NOT add anything to bottle without consulting my doctor. Natural doesn't always mean safe so no flax oil, no pedialyte, and no gentlease until you ask the doctor.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:26 AM on Jul. 16, 2013

• ASK HIS DOCTOR. You shouldn't be changing formulas without first consulting his physician.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 11:57 AM on Jul. 16, 2013

• Asking the baby's Pediatrician is always the best bet. They will want to know things like how many wet diapers, how much baby is eating and frequency, color and consistency of bowel movements. Does the Pediatrician know you have been switching formulas? You might try telling them that as well. I would not use a one month old baby to experiment with adding oils and things to their food to see if it helps baby poop. Call the Ped and let them guide you.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:58 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• Don't add anything to the baby's bottle without speaking to a pediatrician first. Mylacon drops or Gripewater, a natural supplement, could help if the baby is truly constipated, but there's not a lot for young infants to poop out when all they take in is liquid formula.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:26 AM on Jul. 17, 2013

• Yeah I'm forming a pretty close knit relationship with the peds' assistant. Haha! I've been getting the samples from her. Constipation isn't only classified as hard poops or how many times they go or the consistancy. If they are turning red in the face and crying when trying to go, pediatrician's also see that as constipation. They told me to use the suppositories in the bum or a rectal thermometer or prune juice in with the formula. But I wanted to see if anyone has tried the flaxseed oil cause its supposed to lubricate their intestines and make it easier to go each time. The problem with suppositories and rectal therms is they don't always work and they could become dependant on the therm each time they go and not learn to properly use those muscles like babies are supposed to. So I'll call the assistant again in the a.m. to see what they say. Thanks for your input everyone!
    mandi_m

Comment by mandi_m (original poster) at 3:02 AM on Jul. 17, 2013

• Do an *I Love You* belly massage. They poop within 2 hours. When you do this massage it moves the gas through the intestines and helps there poop move through the blockage.

If the baby is facing you, start at the upper right side of the bottom of the breast bone. Push firm but not to hard and go down to the diaper making an *I*, then go across the diaper line under the belly button to make an *L*, then curve up the left side of the belly making a *U*.

They taught me this in the NICU with my son when he was constipated. Works every time
    Mommy081713

Answer by Mommy081713 at 6:00 AM on Aug. 22, 2013