what can I do? my dog is insane sometimes.

my dog a 2 year old male neutered german shepherd husky cross is aggressive toward other male dogs. He has never out right attacked or hurt another dog but he tries to be overly dominate with them and aggressive so then I interfere so it does not lead to an attack. He is perfectly fine with female dogs and can play very nicely with them and leaves the ones that don't want to play alone. Any dog he sees when walking though he pretty much goes insane if the other dog starts barking and he lunges and barks and growls. if the other dog is non responsive when we pass he will show interest but keeps his cool. He is great with kids and other people, protective of me and my daughter but only when it was appropriate (never biting anyone just barking). What have I done wrong to make him behave this way and what can I do to fix it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:48 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Pets

• Call Cesar Milan "Dog Whisper"

Your dog sounds like he wants to be the boss around male dogs and be a flirty with the girls.

I bet he is spoiled :)

Anonymous

• My Shih Tzu is the same way. He is fixed and still doesn't like male dogs. He doesn't attack them, but he curls his lips up at them.
    Anonymous

• It's going to take a calm, assertive manner to conquer this issue. You must be the PACK leader and he needs to know it. By that I mean that you are in control of his behavior Not allowing him to be the dominate one. When he does this action, you need to take action to stop it. There are ways on a walk with a leach to prevent him from focusing on this issue. You must devert his attention and keep walking. When he starts it again, a (word) or (sound) to let him know that it is NOT permitted. In other words when we train kids NOT to fight with others we use words and communacation to get the point across, so the same here applies. He just needs to be put in his place. You sound like a good mommy , you just need some help. Look for someone to help you train him. I wish I were there to help you. Watch the DOG WHISPER NGeogrphic channle for some tips. Good luck and don't give up on him, he sounds like a nice dog.
    doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 3:10 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I would suggest signing him up for an obedience class where he will get socialization skills being around other male dogs. In addition you will have the benefit of experienced people to help you with this situation. Good Luck.
    blujeanlady62

Answer by blujeanlady62 at 3:12 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• He just has a dominant personality, he wants to be top dog and probably will always be that way. I have a female dog who is fine with her sister that shes been with since birth, but she absolutely loses her freakin mind when she sees any other dog. However, shes had two bad run ins with other dogs so its somewhat understandable. I would suggest getting your dog neutered, that does the trick for a lot of male dogs. It really calms their aggression.
    IsaiahsMommy515

Answer by IsaiahsMommy515 at 10:58 AM on Feb. 19, 2009