What would you do?

So we are getting our side yard "done", and we hired a landscaper to do it. The work started yesterday. I had to go out for just 2 hours to get new tires. ( one of mine came way too close to blowing out on the freeway on Sunday) When I got home it was like 3pm, and all the workers were gone. I thought this was strange, they just started. So I'm looking around at the work done so far. They brought in a bobcat to remove some old stumps and start leveling the ground to make a retaining wall and a walkway to the backyard. We had people come out and mark all the utilities, and there was clearly marked where the cable was, but there it was, a busted cable. So I call the cable company, at it's going to cost $35 to fix it. Then, my neighbor comes over and says, did you notice that the people working on your yard must have backed into my mail box? Sure enough, his very expensive mail box ($225)is busted wide open. So how to I approach this? I want to be cordial, but I expect him to pay for this. What would you do?

musicmaker

Asked by musicmaker at 1:00 PM on Jul. 16, 2013 in Home & Garden

• "must have"

So your neighbor didn't see it either? That one's pretty iffy. If no one saw them do it, then no one can prove they did it. And of course, they can't prove they didn't. It's likely that it would come down to a "he said, he said" kind of thing, and might end up costing more money, time and stress than it's worth. I would talk to the company, and tell them what the neighbor said, but if they say they didn't do it, I would just tell your neighbor you're sorry, but they said they didn't do it and he'll need to take it up with them if he believes otherwise.

That cable they broke, though? I'd be demanding reimbursement for that one, because that's pretty clear that they did that one.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 1:13 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• Is the company you are using insured and bonded?
    Their insurance should cover it.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:02 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• I was going to say, that must be one heck of a mailbox, for $225.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:37 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• was it polished brass or something?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 1:49 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• Yes, they are insured and bonded, i'm just worried since no one saw them kill the mail box if he is going to claim his workers didn't do it. I can't prove it, but i'm 99% sure it was them.
    musicmaker

Comment by musicmaker (original poster) at 1:06 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• I would like to keep relations with my neighbor friendly, so I have already told him that if the company won't pay for it I will. As I said, I'm 99% sure it was them. His mail box is like Fort Knox, only a big truck could have damaged it that way

musicmaker

Comment by musicmaker (original poster) at 1:22 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• Yeah, lucky me to have a neighbor with the most expensive mailbox on the planet.

musicmaker

Comment by musicmaker (original poster) at 1:42 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• no way Id pay for something I did not do
    poppincorns

Answer by poppincorns at 1:48 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• He had his mail stolen once, so he got this huge metal monstrosity, that can lock, and can't be broken into.

musicmaker

Comment by musicmaker (original poster) at 1:51 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• So, no one showed up today to work on the yard. I called and got an answering machine. I have not heard back yet. The one good thing is I have not paid this guy a dime yet.
    musicmaker

Comment by musicmaker (original poster) at 3:11 PM on Jul. 16, 2013