Bee sting allergy?

My son, almost 10, stepped on a bee yesterday afternoon. We got the stinger out, it was still quivering in his foot when dad pulled it out. Now this morning he says he doesn't feel good, and just ran to the toilet to throw up.

Is this an allergic reaction, or just some crazy coincidence?

Rosehawk

Asked by Rosehawk at 1:02 PM on Jul. 16, 2013 in Tweens (9-12)

• I'm kind of thinking if it was an allergic reaction, it would have happened sooner. But...given that it did happen yesterday, I would probably give his doctor a call and explain it all, see if they think it's something to be concerned about.

Did you see the bee? I ask because my sons have come to me before saying they were stung by a bee, but we have hornets around here that leave much bigger welts and that's sometimes what stung them. And the hornet stings do seem to make them feel worse than a simple bee sting.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 1:09 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• meh...just a coincidence I'd say. I am highly allergic to all stinging inscects (bees, wasps, etc) and have never vomited after being stung. I just swell up like a blimp and need an epi pen.
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:23 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• I didn't see it this time. His dad pulled the stinger out and dealt with it all. Dad did give him some ice to put on the sting site.

I really don't know on this one. He says it still hurts, especially when he walks. I also know he's one to blow things out of proportion if he thinks he can get something out of it.
    Rosehawk

Comment by Rosehawk (original poster) at 1:23 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• I think swelling, itching, problems breathing, etc are more typical from a bee sting allergy. The vomiting sounds more like something he ate.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:23 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• It makes sense his foot would still be sore today. I was stung on the bottom of my arch once, and it swelled up to where i felt like I was walking on a tennis ball for a couple days.

Not sure on the vomiting, but it doesn't sound related.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 1:27 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• I'm not thinking allergy because the response was delayed by half a day, but I'm no doctor. Was he running around in the heat when he threw up? Maybe not drinking enough water?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:27 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• Just thought of this: His attitude has been earning him extra chores around my house, a friend's house and a relative of said friend's house. It's also been pretty warm for Seattle (75-80 degrees). Now I'm wondering if his vomiting is from just a little too much heat. We DID give him breaks in the shade with lots of water.

Whatever's going on, he gets today as a down day.
    Rosehawk

Comment by Rosehawk (original poster) at 1:28 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• Ah, the joys of teasing out what's medical and what's just plain loafing.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:30 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• Is it red & swollen at the site he was stung? Are there red lines traveling up his leg or outward from the bite? It may have been a spider. If he runs a fever I would bring him to the Dr. ASAP. Hope he feels better soon!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:57 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• Definitely NOT a spider. Son stepped on the bee, came straight home, and the stinger was still wiggling around as Dad pulled it out of his foot.

Looking more like just an odd coincidence between the sting and him not feeling good today.
    Rosehawk

Comment by Rosehawk (original poster) at 2:29 PM on Jul. 16, 2013