Going to sign the lease on a house today and start moving in! What necessities should I bring to the new house?

So far I have a roll of toilet paper, hand soap and a towel as necessities.

Maybe a few food items and a couple cups?

We are just moving loads of stuff, not staying there yet.

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 1:10 PM on Jul. 16, 2013 in Home & Garden

• Cleaning supplies, at least for the tub/shower. I won't use one without cleaning it myself when we first move into a new place. I'm just not that trusting.

If you have a fridge already, I would bring plenty of drinks. It's hot moving this time of year and a cold bottle of water will be wonderful.

Congrats!
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 5:44 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• Definitely toilet paper, probably some paper towels. Cleaning supplies.

Is the power on? If not, maybe some nonperishable snacks like granola bars or something. A radio for some music while you're unpacking, if you plan on unpacking some stuff. Maybe (if the power's on) some fans, if there's no a/c or it's not been on long.

That's about all I can think of right now.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 1:16 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• Sounds like these fine ladies already gave you some great advice. I haven't moved in 15 yrs & don't plan to any time soon. GL with the move. Hope it goes as smoothly as possible w/ 2 little ones! :p
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 2:06 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• Just what you're going to need to entertain kids and get some cleaning done while you're preparing to move in. If you're not sleeping there you don't need bedding or bathing stuff.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:22 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• Congratulations!

Maybe a few toys for the three-year-old so she stays out from underfoot while you're cleaning.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:24 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• That is a good start. Paper towels or rags
    Dish soap or all purpose soap
    If this is a lease a camera an pen and paper.
    Before you move even one item in (except TP) start as you walk in and take pictures of everything. Write down every little flaw and nail hole and dirt. Document.
    Then download to your harddrive and burn off two copies and give one to the landlord with you written check in sheet and to do list.
    This is evidence in a court of law if ever you need proof of what the home was like when you entered. Do the same when you leave, just in case he wants to keep the deposit.
    Snacks of some sort and drink., bread and peanut butter are a good choice.
    I always pack baking soda in my first box as well.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:46 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• Congrats! Post pics when you can! :)
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:17 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• Scissors and a coffee maker with cups if you drink coffee.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:37 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• Definitely toilet paper, probably some paper towels. Cleaning supplies. some paper plates cups and some silverware a coffee maker broom and mop or a vaccum
    momof11995

Answer by momof11995 at 3:07 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• The new house is spotless. It is the old house I will need to spend a billion hours cleaning. A radio is a great idea. Power is on.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 1:24 PM on Jul. 16, 2013