Can a relationship work in which you only see each other once a week?

there is an hour between us. i have kids here. he has a job there. weekends are all we have. can this work long term?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:16 PM on Jul. 16, 2013 in Relationships

• I live way out in the country, and it takes me a good 45 minutes to get to any real stuff. So an hour wouldn't be much to me.

I think it can work, if you two want it to work. It's not always about the quantity of the time you spend together, but the quality of it. If you feel like you're connecting, like you're getting something out of the relationship and giving something into it, then it's working for you, and it doesn't really matter if someone else in the same circumstances finds their relationship falling apart.

If you care about each other and you want it to work, you'll find a way to make it work.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 1:20 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• If you want it to work, it will work. The internet has made the world a much smaller place. An hour is nothing.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:25 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• It can, but is that how you want to live? Do you ever foresee a way to be together if things are working out? Like both moving halfway between?
    That being said, of course it can work! My dad ended up working 5 hours away from our home, commuting home on Friday afternoons and returning to his work town on Sun nights, for 3 years because he didn't want to interrupt my brothers senior year of highschool (I have 3 brothers, one right behind the other, so for 3 years straight one of them was graduating).
    With cell phones and texting, long distance relationships are easier than ever! But make sure that seeing him only on weekends doesn't make you overlook the little everyday things that can make or break a long term relationship.

Answer by missanc at 1:28 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• Sure, if that's the way it's set up and everybody is happy with the arrangement. I dated that way for a long time. I had my life to myself except for one night a week or sometimes a weekend. Suited me just fine.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:43 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• some married people see each other less
    and live in diff cities because of work

yes, imo, it can work
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 1:44 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• Depends how much work you BOTH put into it to make it succeed.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:45 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• Alot of couples get only 2 hours together, and somehow manage to stay strong. It depends on the couple. How much are they in to work and fight to keep the marriage alive even without having alot of time together.
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 2:41 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• I will say. In the long run. No.

Answer by louise2 at 3:40 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• DH and I were bi-coastal for almost 4 years. If it works for both of you and you can trust each other to be honest about your feelings and the relationship then it can work.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:47 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• depends
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 8:16 PM on Jul. 16, 2013