SPIDERS?!?!?!?!

Sooo... for some reason we have developed spiders in our house this summer.. I have killed atleast 80 and they all seem to be of the same type. They've all been around the size of a nickel except the one I killed this morning. This one was the size of the palm of my hand. It was dark brown with black stripes on its legs. This is what all of them look like. Can someone please tell me what they are??!! I'm terrified of spiders and have a little one to think about. Thanks.  

dimples2k13

Asked by dimples2k13 at 1:26 PM on Jul. 16, 2013 in Health

• feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 1:35 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• You haven't thought about calling an exterminator yet?
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:36 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• can't really afford an exterminator at the moment.
    dimples2k13

Comment by dimples2k13 (original poster) at 1:37 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• It's either a "giant house spider" or a wolf spider. Both are relatively harmless to humans. The wolf spider would be the one to watch out for and only if it causes an allergic reaction. Other than that you'll be fine. They're just a pain in the ass insect is all.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:39 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• Ugh! Good luck with that. My thought would be that an exterminator is cheaper and less stressful than a trip to the hospital if someone gets bitten.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:40 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• Thank you! I ran across something like it on the internet but it was a cartoonish picture so it was hard to relate but it said they were brown with black stripes so is this one.. so maybe a grass spider? Hopefully lol
    dimples2k13

Comment by dimples2k13 (original poster) at 1:41 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• I agree with Kristi in that they look like wolf spiders. You need to figure out how they're getting in.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 1:42 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• FYI they like to hide in dark corners and under furniture etc. Chances are with as many as you've killed you had a momma or two with a sac. I'd be flipping the furniture on end and checking underneath with my vacuum handy.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:44 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• We get grass spiders that look like that every summer, I hate the son of a bitches. We get Seven5 (since they don't make seven10 anymore) and we go around the edges of the porches with it and along the base boards in the house. Don't use it inside like that if you have kids or pets that don't know better. In that case you may be able to put it in places not in easy view of them like under the couch, behind the stove, in the back of cabinets etc..
    Anonymous

• If you can't go the exterminator route, try Ortho Home Defense Max. It comes in a big gallon container with an attached sprayer (it's not too expensive at Home Depot) You can do the perimeter outside your house and doors and windows. It also is ok to use inside. I use it once a year because we get spiders if we don't. Yuck! Also, make sure you close blinds at night and leave porch lights off when possible. It draws flying bugs which draw spiders. GL
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 1:58 PM on Jul. 16, 2013