What can I do differently next time?

So I made porcupine meatballs last night, but they fell apart during cooking, and we ended up with meat and rice in spaghetti sauce. The flavor was really good, but why would the meatballs have disintegrated, and how can I prevent that next time?

The recipe I found called for a pound of ground beef, a half a cup of uncooked rice, garlic powder and minced onion, and a third of a cup of water. It said to mix that all up and let the meat sit in the fridge for a while, then make the meatballs and put them gently into a boiling pot of spaghetti sauce, turn heat very low, and simmer for an hour.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 1:52 PM on Jul. 16, 2013 in Food & Drink

• i made the same thing, but the recipe i used called for more water. 1/2 cup of water in the meat mixture, and then another 1/2 cup mixed in with the spaghetti sauce. when i shaped the meatballs i put them in a casserole dish, poured the sauce over, covered and baked in the oven for 45 minutes, uncovered and another 15 minutes in the oven. they were very moist but they did not fall apart.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 2:23 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• I'm not a huge cook, but I do know that egg is a good binder - maybe add an egg and cut the water by a little to make up the difference?

Answer by missanc at 1:57 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• I cook my rice and mix with egg and bread crumbs.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:59 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• Definitely need egg and bread crumbs.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 2:01 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• How lean was the meat you used? Sometimes too much grease or moisture can cause meat to fall apart. I have this problem with ground chicken being too wet to form a patty and too messy to try to squeeze moisture from.
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 1:57 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• You have to add eeggs and bread crumbs. Also I bake mine for 30 min before putting them in the sauce.
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 2:02 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• You have to add eggs & breadcrumbs ( even pulverized crackers).
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 2:03 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• probably needed egg to hold it all together
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 2:20 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• I think an egg and bread crumbs is the answer, but I really like the idea of baking them before adding them to the sauce.

musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 2:23 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• oh and my recipe didnt call for eggs or breadcrumbs either. just the meat, seasonings, rice and water.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 2:24 PM on Jul. 16, 2013