Are you white? did Trayvon's case make you feel discriminated against?

ugh.. puh-lease. dont people know anything about sensationalism? i find it funny that both white & blacks are pulling the race card when it comes to the Trayvon Martin case.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 2:37 PM on Jul. 16, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• No, I don't feel discriminated against. But, I do feel that the media outlets do enjoy manipulating the masses to a degree.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 2:40 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• I think a friend of mine in Florida summed it up best - Florida has found a new cash building industry in sensationalist trials, going out of their way to give the press extra access to ensure their scandals become tourist attractions. This had nothing to do with race. It didn't even have anything to do with the victim. This was nothing but a media event, just like the Anthony trial. Can't wait to see what murder victim they decide to exploit next year.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:44 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• I don't feel discriminated against. I don't know why any white person would feel discriminated against. I think the outbreak of violence in reaction to the verdict is asinine and is made up of thugs that only needed a reason to do what they do. Zimmerman isn't caucasian. This was a series of unfortunate events and poorly made decisions that ended tragically. This does not mean that Zimmerman was guilty of the charges brought against him.

I will say though, I don't understand the attacks I have read about on white people by black people claiming 'this is for Trayvon'. Zimmerman is half Hispanic and doesn't 'look' white. These attacks are just an excuse for idiots to be violent to innocent victims. I'm sure they won't be charged with hate crimes either.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:46 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• "United we stand; divided we fall." It appears to me that the people in our country who have the power to affect the thinking of the masses prefer to see us divided, rather than united. And I think that is what all this is about.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:52 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• Yes I'm white, no I don't feel discriminated against, but sadly I think that racism comes in a rainbow of colors.

Answer by missanc at 3:16 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• No, I don't feel discriminated against. What I do feel is sick and tired of being manipulated by the media that wants us to think that one life is more critical than the others that have been lost at gun point for reasons less meaningful than self-defense. How many lives have been taken in the streets of Chicago alone this year? And how many of those lost lives have been children? Too damn many. And where is the media for this? Crickets chirp louder than the national media over these deaths, and I am revolted at the lack of attention to serious attempts to solving this crisis. If the lives of our children matter - as was part of the argument of the Martin/Zimmerman prosecution - where is the help for the children of Chicago?
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 4:09 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• I find it a bit ironic that the press referred to Zimmerman as a "white-Hispanic". Does that make President Obama a "white-African American"?! The whole thing is a tragedy, plain & simple. They both acted in inappropriate ways that caused a tragic sequence of events. The fact that some people are responding to the verdict like animals having a temper tantrum is despicable. I hope they are caught & punished to the full extent of the law. MLK & our founding fathers are probably rolling in their graves.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 10:03 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• I get tired of the race card. We should be beyond that. Until it no longer can be used by anyone, we are going to keep going on the merrygoround.
    I am considered "other" as far as race.
    I do not feel discriminated against, I feel tired.
    It is a tragedy when anything like this happens.
    It is even more of a tragedy that people do not see themselves as people. Period. Yes as a descriptive the color of one's skin is helpful in identification. That is all it should be.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:42 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• The US news can sensational the first case.
    plain and simple
    Anonymous

• Marley Lion was shot during and attempted robbery. He was shot by a 'bad guy'. Trevon Martin was walking around in the rain acting suspicious, police were called and then he come and beat the crap out of the man who was watching where he was going. He was shot during a fight he started. It is always tragic when a minor is killed but these were completely different cases. Trevon Martins case turned into a fight about race. If both men had been of the same race there would have been no issue. Everyone would be agreeing that is was self defense as zimmerman was having his head pounded into the cement.
    Anonymous