Anyone with a child fresh into college what things did you buy him or her?

Okay so my son will be heading to college come august,and I'm really worried about how he's going to make it work. He has his tuition paid in full thanks to the scholarship he received for graduation. However because my husband didn't file his taxes in decades,it messed up the fafsa process and any grants he could've received. We called the school and let them know that,and I gave them all of my tax information and begged them to please see what could be done to get him some money. They said they should be able to get him something, We have no money saved up at all.
I'm trying to figure out what we will need to buy him for his place,he will be rooming in an apt with a few people.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:49 PM on Jul. 16, 2013 in Adult Children (18+)

• Who claims this kid on their taxes? That's the only return fasfa needs. As for things I got my boots, I got a list from the school on things thru needed in the dorms and I got that
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 2:52 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• Has he gotten together with the other people to see who has what (tv, DVD player, couch, kitchen stuff, etc)? Is the place furnished?
    When I went to school, my 3 roommates and I made a list of what we needed and what we already had, then we split up the list. It worked out well.

Answer by missanc at 2:53 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• I claim the kids
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:54 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• Having seen three kids through college I will tell you that I, personally, would NOT send him until you have the financial aid set up and guaranteed. "Should be able to get him something" isn't nearly good enough. You want the official award letter.

Assuming you get that squared away these are what I sent my kids with:

1. A prepaid Visa where I put "x" number of dollars per month. When that money was gone, it was gone until the next pay period
    2. Sheets, towels, toiletries, toilet paper (seriously, you'd be amazed at the level of toilet paper theft in college lol)
    3. Computer
    4. Cell phone
    5. An ability to buy groceries. This can be in the form of a monthly grocery store gift card or a delivery service
    6. Insurance cards
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 2:55 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• Oh also. All my kids were expected to have a part time job. It could be work study or outside the university but the amount of money I could send them wasn't enough to finance their college time.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 2:57 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• Gift cards
    Get something like Amazon so he can buy books and supplies. Dont get one for the college bookstore, the markup is obscene.
    Another one for a store like wal mart/ target so if he needs anything from bedding to cleaning supplies he will be ok
    Maybe one to a local eatery so he can go off campus
    gas card if he is driving

these items are better than cash or a prepaid visa because then you can control a little bit of the spending and if lost you may be able to have them replaced
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 2:58 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• I like your list Mrs_Prissy
    He has a computer
    A checking account that I can deposit money into.
    we also have him on our insurance plan
    I'm scared to see what books will cost him
    I was going to see if they could let him use his scholarships for a later date,and I discussed with my son the expenses and that we need more time to get him set up. He really wants to get out of the house and spread his wings and fly.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:02 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• There are book rental sites that are awesome. Check some of those out. We, maybe, bought bookstore books once. Learned our lesson there.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 3:03 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• can you give me an example of what he might pay to rent a textbook,for say something like trig?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:16 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 3:21 PM on Jul. 16, 2013