How to introduce bottle to breastfed baby

My baby is almost 5 weeks old and I have to go back to work in about 7-8 more weeks. She is exclusively breastfed. I want to pump and have her have a bottle while im at work. I only work part time so shell probably only have 1 or 2 while im gone. How should ago about introducing a bottle should I wait a lil longer I was thinking starting in august. with my middle daughter she refused a bottle I didn't work at the time but I couldn't go anywhere without her .. I want my baby to still breastfed when I am around. Do u gals have any suggestions on the best type of bottle. Im kinda worried shell like the bottle and not want to nurse anymore :(

Cherriemama831

Asked by Cherriemama831 at 3:18 PM on Jul. 16, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I used 4-5 different kinds of bottles with my oldest 3 and they would never take it. I think I waited too long to introduce it to them, so I would go ahead and start now. With my youngest 2 I used Avent (which is what the lactation consultant at the hospital recommended) and introduced the bottle at birth. I know some people say it causes nipple confusion if introduced too early, but mine never had an issue and would switch back and forth between breast and bottle easily. I had dad give them the bottle, which they say is easier than mom trying to give them something new, at least until they get used to it.

Answer by missanc at 3:21 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• I'm with missanc- the only time I have ever had a bottle problem was when I waited months to introduce it.
    Now 17 months later I am still kicking myself and have fallen off of the self weaning bandwagon :(
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 3:50 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• Do it as soon as possible. Just try one and see how it goes. My kids never had a problem, but I introduced it right away.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:40 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• I had to supplement my breastmilk with formula for the whole first year, and my baby, who was introduced to the bottle at birth, went easily between the two for about ten months. After that, she got mobile and busy and gave up nursing because the bottle was quicker and easier, but till then, she went back and forth with no problem. My lactation consultant said that everybody talks about nipple confusion, but she'd only seen it a handful of times in her career. Most babies, she told me, are adaptable and will switch back and forth between breast and bottle.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:53 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• The key isn't really doing it early... it's being GONE. Mom needs to be absent. If mom is present, the effort has a pretty good chance of being doomed. Hand baby to caregiver. Go. Get out of the house. If baby even SMELLS you baby will hold out.

You can also use a sippy cup instead. Baby's been old enough for it for, oh, about five weeks. **smile**

Answer by gdiamante at 7:35 PM on Jul. 16, 2013