S/O Martin vs Lion cases. Who does Deserve to be murdered?

Sometimes I am just appalled by the things people say and how things are written especially when these people are educated professionals.

I took a Reading Comp. course at University. True Crime was the subject matter. (Much better than a standard Reading 101 class if you're looking for input on 101 classes)

The author, Anne Rule, wrote about Ted Bundy's victims (to paraphrase) It was a shame the pretty girls died.
Would it have been less than of a shame had the girl been ugly?

Now in regard to the Lion case this quote, "He did absolutely nothing to deserve what ended his life".
To the Martin case, alegations had been made that he deserved it because he was black, walking, etc., whatever.

Here is the question.
Who deserves to be murdered?
Who deserves to die a violent death?
Not, "well- if they hadn't have put themselves in that particular situation", nor, "if they had lived a clean, pure life"...
But rather- who deserves it?

What is the imaginary line in the sand of the deserving and the undeserving?

feralxat

Asked by feralxat at 4:10 PM on Jul. 16, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• pedophiles deserve to die
    Anonymous

• jeffrey dahmer got what he deserved in prison after he was convicted in a court of law
    he did not get death penalty from the court, but inmates have their "standards" and finished the job
    and in a very deserving way
    Anonymous

• Who deserves to be murdered?    Neither Martin or Lion.
    Who deserves to die a violent death?    Neither men.

But rather - who deserves it?   I would guess a person found guilty of a crime and receiving capital punishment from a jury of their peers.                               Every situation is different and to be able to say who deserves it would require independently reviewing each case.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:32 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• i agree with anon. pedophiles and people who murder in cold blood deserve to die. other than that, nobody.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:28 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• No one deserves to be murdered, dying however I think is another question. Capital punishment is not murder to me, murder is the killing of an innocent life. Those who deserve capital punishment are those who do particularly heinous crimes and crimes against children IMO.  Heinous crimes being serial killers, child rapists, even serial rapists.  In order to put someone to death, I feel is all in the details of their crime, the severity of it. 

marymargret

Answer by marymargret at 6:12 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• No one deserves to die....

Answer by older at 4:13 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• I would agree with Older that no one deserves to die. But I would add that if someone is actually attacking another person, as in having the intention of committing harm, or entering someone's home illegally, and he gets hurt or killed by the victim or homeowner or a passerby, well, he doesn't necessarily deserve to die but he has asked for whatever trouble he gets. Walking the streets, shooting off your mouth, being in the rong place at the wrong time, none of those count as attacking someone, at least not to me.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:24 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• People often do not express themselves as well as someone else might like. The comment about the pretty girls was simply a descriptive . The victims were girls and they were pretty end of story.
    In the Lion case (which I am not familiar with) I read that as he was minding his own business and doing nothing that would cause anyone to be alarmed. We often say he did not deserve to die, in such a case.
    In the Martin case, which has been wildly publicized, people have formed their opinions on what each did and did not do according to the way they perceive the information and he situations in their own lives. I can not say I heard or read anyone saying he deserved to die. But he was not simply an innocent. Misjudgments were made, IMO, by both parties and it ended in tragedy. Not murder.
    Sensationalism, again IMO, does not belong in such cases, sadly it always will.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 6:01 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• It would depend entirely on your opinion of a violent death. Many forms of the death penalty can seem violent. Electrocution for example, or gas chamber. Either way, their punishment (not necessarily form of punishment in the case of death penalty) is decided by a jury of their peers.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:50 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• Did Ann Rule say that or Bundy? Anyway, I get your point. I think we want to make sense of senseless killings, attacks, abductions and other abhorrent behavior. Thing is, you can't. It'll continue to happen justly (in the case of Dahmer) or unjustly (in the case of countless others, including the Martin case).

Who deserves it? I don't know if it is for us to decide. Maybe it's a subconscious choice, maybe it's karma, maybe it's the wrong place at the wrong time? IDK. Our neighbor was murdered a month ago, she was 15 and 4.0 student. Pretty sure, it wasn't her time...or was it?
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:32 PM on Jul. 16, 2013