If your child throws up at daycare... maybe tmi? adult content

Do you tell the teacher he or she is actually just fine and it was _____ that caused it?

This has happened to me twice as a 'teacher'. Today a little boy (4) threw up right after lunch and felt like crap. Laid straight down and went to sleep which is not normal for him. His mom gets there and ask me what he had for lunch. Then tells me he is not sick- it was the peaches. He doesn't like those and he had eaten half of them.... (I am thinking Lady, we have peaches 3 times a week and he always eats them) Insisting he is fine she takes him home and says see you tomorrow. (Policy will not allow him to return tomorrow either way)

Last time a little girl (2) threw up twice after snack and it was NOT a little bit... She was dancing and singing when her dad picked her up and hour later. He insisted she was fine and it must have been 'too much juice' He made a huge fuss about it. Found out later she barfed int he car on the way home. I admit I smiled about it.

Is this just normal? Your kid gets sick at school but you insist they are Not actually sick like we have no idea what we are talking about? lol. Dude. I know sick when I see it.

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 4:55 PM on Jul. 16, 2013 in General Parenting

• yes, I have. DS has texture issues and for some reason won't just spit something out. Instead he goes into a gagging fit that would often end in him barfing. He had no other symptoms, it was what he was trying to eat that would set it off. He only did it once or twice at school and wanted to continue the day, so I just brought him a change of clothing. The nurse said she had a few other students over the time she had been there that did the same thing. I would send lunch with him but something must have started him gagging that day. He's gotten much better about it with age. He doesn't do so much of the gagging anymore, but texture i still an issue.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:16 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• Oh, DS's gagging would result in full on barfing. Not just a little spit up, it was projectile and significant, which is why the school called (because it got on his clothing and seemed like a lot). He had no other symptoms though and had not been sick or displaying other symptoms before that unlike the child in your situation.

In my case, I asked DS if he was feeling well and if he wanted to come home with me and he didn't want to miss class, the nurse gave the green light for him to stay since he didn't have any other symptoms.  If I felt he wasn't feeling well or was coming down with something I would have taken him home, just as I would want any of his other classmate's parents to do if their child might be sick.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:25 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• mine (6) is not a barffer
    just like her mommy

if mine barfed, i would know she was sick

she barfed a couple months ago in middle of the night (first time since she was 2.5 years old)
    she made it all the way to the toilet and barfed in the bowl
    then after -she said "WHAT WAS THAT?"
    lol, she did not even know what it was, but made it to the pot
    made me proud

when mine has even slight fever- i keep home until she is fever free (with no fever reducing meds for 24 hours) then she goes back
    i know the rules of school
    * i got to follow SOME rules, since i am such a rule breaker :)
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 5:27 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• youre a good mom
    just accept it :)
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 5:58 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• well- sadly - playing devils advocate
    i have done it
    it was after a febrile seizure related to ear infections
    the daycare wanted to call 911 and keep him out until i had a docs note
    i knew if his fever hadnt spiked he wouldnt have seized and there was no reason to keep him home, miss work and not be able to pay rent

yeah- i eventually became a SAHM and got him tubes
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 5:07 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• ok sweetie- based on the scenarios presented, no devils advocate
    i would be pissed, confused and a whole plethora of negative emotions

what does your SUP say?
    and
    is there anyway to keep the sick kids separated from the healthy to prevent spreading anything infectious?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 5:29 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• Policy says if they throw up they have to go home and be out for 24 hours.

^^^Then this is what should apply.  Also, the fact that she was gone for three days would work against her being a-o-k to continue the day.  If the school had told me that I had to take him home I wouldn't have argued.  I figured he would have wanted to come home because he was embarrassed that he threw up in front of his peers.  I was frankly a little shocked that he wanted to stay.  

I would just tell the parents that it is about the health of all of the other children in your care as well as for their daughter to be able to get better before returning.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:44 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• OH!
    So this is a "working as a daycare provider" vent.
    Gotcha!

Ok, so I did daycare. saw some kids for 12 hours a day. The kids called me mom. The parents got PISSED!
    LOOK lady, no matter how many times I say, "call me ___", your kid has developed and emotional attachment and is looking for affirmation.
    If you dont want the kid to have that kind of security go to a crappy centre.
    I also "lost" a kid one night at closing.
    I was cleaning up turned around and the kid was just GONE!

I almost shit myself. Turns out Dad had walked in and taken kid (all right ok)
    I sternly lectured that man. How the hell was I to know the kid wasn't taken?!

I was fired the next week and the centre implemented a security system, sign in and out procedure and installed cameras.

I will NEVER do childcare again. Hats off to you. You're a better woman than I am :)
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 5:49 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• OMG, I'm super annoyed by what you describe. Sorry to offend other working moms but your child has the vomit bug or diarrhea, that is your problem! The rest of the kids don't want it too so take that kid home or worse, you shouldn't have brought them in the first place.

It happens all the time which is what shuts down schools in our area during the winter. People can't miss work so they send in their sick kids. I work too but I stay home if my kids are vomiting. Once I overheard a mom telling the teacher (years ago at preschool) that her son vomited at 5AM but since he's been fine for 3 hours, he can go to school. I could have slapped her.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:05 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• We are always our own worst critics. You are a fabulous mother and your kids know it even if you won't admit it.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 6:06 PM on Jul. 16, 2013