Wendythewriter

shoot me the link to your books?
do you have an editor?
what's your profit margin?

educate me, please

feralxat

Asked by feralxat at 6:49 PM on Jul. 16, 2013 in About CafeMom

• Here's the link to my Amazon page, that lists all my books.

I have a couple of people who edit for me, but I don't have a hired editor that actually edits for a living. It's people that I know have excellent grammar, spelling, and punctuation skills, as well as a keen eye for noting if a sentence is too clunky, or if I somehow left a major plot hole.

Profit margin - you'd have to educate me on how to figure that, because I suck at math. lol But I can tell you that I have no real expenses in writing the books, and what I get in royalties all comse to me. I have to do taxes on it, of course, and set aside for that, but that's about it.

wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:08 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• I don't make tons right now, as I just started publishing last year, but once I get a real following, I should (hopefully) start making a whole lot more.

(And can I just say, I was really happy to see this was the question, because when I first saw my name, I thought, "Oh, who did I piss off?" lol)
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:09 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• Wendy - not sure how many books you have out but I've found some writers I love and follow from finding one free book to read and then buying their others. Not sure if you've tried a free book, at least for a short time or how much money you might lose? Just sharing a thought related to my experience.

Answer by missanc at 7:52 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• I will say that I am not a huge fan of the genre you specialize in but I did enjoy your writing. You have a real talent :)
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 7:10 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• Mrs_Prissy: Aw, thank you so much! You have no idea how much it means to me to see that right now. I've been kind of in a funk for a few days now, and you just put a real smile on my face.

missanc: I have done a freebie now and then. It does help, and I'm actually considering doing another one soon. It's not really "lost" money, in my opinion. I love to write, so I would do it even if I never published, so it's not like I'm taking time away from something else to do it. And it does bring in more sales.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:19 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• I don't normally read romance (unless it's disguised in a mystery/steampunk novel), but I love reading what other writers are doing. I'm definitely going to take a look at what you have. I admire you for doing what you love. I've wanted to be a writer since I was in second grade, but instead I listened to all the people who told me that I didn't want to be a "starving artist".

Now off to take a deeper look at your work! : )
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 8:39 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• Wow! I am very impressed! You should be very proud. You write very well :)
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:53 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• wendy, good for you for doing what you love! That is super awesome!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:48 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• ^^That's how I found Deborah Crombie
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 7:57 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• I just got the samples for your books. I'm interested in reading the samples and I'm sure I'll end up buying the full books.

I get a daily blog on my Kindle called Free Books and Tips by Michael Gallagher. It has a list of free books and special deals offered for a limited time. I know that authors that are starting out or are trying to get a bigger audience contact Michael about their books when they offer them for free for a limited time and he puts a Kindle link for the book and description of the book up on his blog. He has a pretty big following, so that might be something you would be interested in doing.
    Nos4

Answer by Nos4 at 10:48 PM on Jul. 16, 2013