Pro life mommas....

funlovinlady

Asked by funlovinlady at 9:44 PM on Jul. 16, 2013 in Parenting Debate

• tee- hee
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:03 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• Not all of us are deserving of that kind of dismissal and disrespect...

I'm personally pro-life, but my beliefs are that we need to work together for prevention, education, and aid, and then we will see a natural decrease in the need for abortion. Pro-life, for me, means more than pro-fetus, and I factor in the lives of the mothers who would die attempting to abort on their own into my understanding of the situation, as well as the quality of life of the unwanted children who would result from women not being able to access abortions. I just think we're all starting at the wrong end of the problem and think we need to work together to better prevent unwanted pregnancy in the first place, instead of arguing over something that is a result of that problem.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:05 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• "But not bg :)"

Haha, no worries. I'm not much of a fighter anyway :)
    Oh, and the dismissal and disrespect wasn't necessarily you, just the general way some people look at pro-life - I had seen this meme used to make us all look like we're ignorant and all. But trust me, I have just as much issue with the extreme pro-lifers as anyone else. Heck, I'm quite outspoken against some of them as being counter productive, insisting on having things both ways, refusing to compromise. They want both to control "sexual morality" by refusing education and birth control, etc, thus making prevention harder than it ought to be, AND to criminalize abortion, which opens up a whole slew of OTHER problems. THEN they don't want to help with welfare, stigmatizing single mothers and poor families and the like. If they were capable of prioritizing they'd be able to actually contribute to a solution, instead of keeping us from making any progress...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:25 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• "how is the comedy of knee jerk reactions dismissive?"

Just referring to calling people idiots, that's all. Sometimes people intend that in ways further than just laughing at a joke. I have seen this meme before, though - and that's the same response I have prepared for all abortion discussion, to introduce my way of thought on the matter ;)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:14 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• as a rule we have two sides of the argument
    it should be legal and unrestricted- it should be illegal
    while we have gray areas, i.e. BG and even Pro Choicers who say, "But using it as BC is wrong" the general consensus is everyone has an opinion.

pointing out that any person's immediate reaction to seeing a fetus and their gut opinion to abortion-
    even if the fetus is an elephant
    simply brings recognizes the potential silliness of the debate

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:29 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• ignore brings in the last sentance
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:31 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• "pointing out that any person's immediate reaction to seeing a fetus and their gut opinion to abortion-
    even if the fetus is an elephant
    simply brings recognizes the potential silliness of the debate"

Haha, gotchya ;)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:33 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• If I was pregnant with an elephant I'd want to abort it. No way I'm letting that sucker destroy my vag on the way out.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 11:43 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

how is the comedy of knee jerk reactions dismissive?
    the image, while simple is social commentary. it has allowed for a dialogue (evidenced by your well thought out response).
    in fact, the image and its corresponding text caused you to stop, think and comment. therefore making it an effective meme

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:11 PM on Jul. 16, 2013

• What does an elephant embryo have to with being pro life?
    Do you just want to fight with someone tonight, lol?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:16 PM on Jul. 16, 2013