Why are crib sheets necessary?

Just wondering. Is it comfort or just tradition? The mattress is waterproof.

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 12:48 AM on Jul. 17, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Comfort (I'd hate to wake to plastic stuck to my face) and unless you're willing to sanitze the plastic every day it could get gross quickly. Think of all the pee, sweat and even butt leaks that could happen and you may not even see. YUCK! At least with sheets you'd hopefully be washing them every few days.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 10:35 AM on Jul. 17, 2013

• Do you want to wake up with the plastic mattress stuck to the side of your face?? No! neither do babies.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 1:20 AM on Jul. 17, 2013

• comfort. my kids crib mattress has a plastic coating on it and would probably stick to my kids skin at night...they are very clammy haha.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:49 AM on Jul. 17, 2013

• comfort
    think about sleeping on plastic
    sweat collects and it is just plain uncomfortable.
    the sheet being formed is a safety issue, so the cloth does not wrap around baby and have an unfortunate ending.
    If you can sew they are simple to make
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:51 AM on Jul. 17, 2013

• I would think a cotton sheet would be more comfortable than a plastic mattress to sleep on, although with a diaper and jammies on, a baby might not notice. I always felt good about the sheets because they fit snug and I didn't have to worry about folds and wrinkles in other bedding as a smothering danger.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:10 AM on Jul. 17, 2013

• Can't you afford crib sheets?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:13 AM on Jul. 17, 2013

• The crib mattress I have is plastic. Then I put a waterproof mattress pad on top of that (It's thick & quilted for comfort). Then I put cloth waterproof pee pee pads on top of that (they are like a foot square each). I put them in the spot the babies heiney usually is the most. Then I put on a very tight fitted sheet. So every week unless she wets it, I change the top sheet. If she pees & it goes through the top sheet it usually hits the small pads so I only have to wash the sheet & pad. Saves laundry. I wish I could sleep in her crib, it's so comfy. The reason for the sheet for me is just for sanitary reasons, comfort & less laundry. The fitted waterproof mattress pad is very thick.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 8:43 AM on Jul. 17, 2013

• That makes sense. I have never used cribs. I could afford a crib sheet but I would not buy one full price. I have some.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 11:00 AM on Jul. 17, 2013