Educated. Unemployed and Worried.

I just finished my bachelor's degree in criminal justice, specializing in fraud investigation. Racked up a $60,000 bill doing that. I'm a single mom of an 8 month old baby girl. I can't find a job and apply to at least 50 a week.
I feel myself starting to get depressed because I can't find a job or pay on my HUGE debt.

Has anyone been in this rut? Any advise or something to help??

13wildflower

Asked by 13wildflower at 2:00 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Money & Work

• I feel ya sister! I will be graduating this June and I can't find a job as an RN anywhere!

This is my plan-I am getting a letter of recommendation, a resume, and a cover letter and I am going to start sending them out. I am going to advertise myself and even send outside of Ohio.

Good luck to you! I feel your pain.
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 2:03 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Yep I feel ya. You should try going to the employment security office with your degree in hand and ask them what jobs are out there. You might have to take something other then what youre degree is in. You can also call the bank and ask for a 6 mth deferrment on your loans so you dont have to pay right away. Alot of people need to do that. You can also call the school district and ask what they need to be a teacher evenif its not what you WANT to do its a job and usually as long as you have a bachelors you can get accredited. Good luck! I graduate at the end of March and Im in the same boat.

Answer by gemgem at 2:07 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• It is a very rough time to be looking for a job as you already know, what I can tell you is that fraud is becoming a rampant crime during this econmoic crisis which ultimately will create more job openings in teh future for you, however until then, I hate to say it but you can ALWAYS find work at places like Mcdonalds or Burger King, You went to school to give yourself and your child a better life, dont let a slow job market make your situation worse. It is better to make minimum wage than nothing at all. Also I would recommend REALLY broadening the areas in which you are seeking employment. You may need to move to another state or even part of the country to pursue your career and as scary as that is you are strong enough to do it. Look at the strength it took to finish school as a single mom. Be proud of yourself for yoru acheivement and take each day one step at time.
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 2:25 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

•  

I'm using 2 different work at home companies that you might want to check out. They're both free. http://y5b.org and http://g88.info

customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 2:39 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• If you are interested in trying something different, I could offer something. I know you have a lot on your plate, but with the economy as tough as it is, jobs sometimes are not out there. You may want to think about earning money right now - even if you are looking for something temporary. Don't close your eyes to anything. Let me know if I can help
    marywoz

Answer by marywoz at 2:55 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I never had problems finding a job,just a job that paid good.LOL. Try my job, www.bootyparlorparties.com/davialavae
    sweetest-sin7

Answer by sweetest-sin7 at 4:01 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I would go to your local employment office. Is your state government hiring? There is usually a need for people to work in social services or as a parole officer. What about applying to the police department?
    Magpie75

Answer by Magpie75 at 4:07 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I like near Oakland, California. They are hiring. Most inner-city law enforcement agencies have openings. Just be persistant. If that doesn't work, apply to one of those companies that does temporary security services. When the company I worked for laid off over 500 people last month, the place was crawling with security temps. Good luck, I hope you find something.
    Trixiebelle2

Answer by Trixiebelle2 at 4:15 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• You may have to take a job at a Law firm as a scretary or clerk for right now just to get an income...or at the local sheriff and police department....It's not where you start that counts, but your humble beginnings will make you appreciate your ending. Stay positive and pray..
    2kidsnLucy

Answer by 2kidsnLucy at 4:16 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• My Mother is in this situation, sort of. She is a brilliant woman who was laid off due to the fact that the place she was working was downsizing. She has been an Administrative director for 29 years and knows all you can know in that field. She is 59 years young, with the body, face and mind of a 40 year old, and full of life. She has applied to numerous positions and has heard nothing in response except for, "due to the economy we are no longer able to fill this position" She is now lliving with my Hubby and I and our children which is fabulous (thank God for a big house) but her sprits are getting lower each day. I say the same thing I say to her, to you now. Keep your chin up and though this is a hard time right now it has to get better. I'm sorry you are in this position, but at least you are not the only one.The economy is the reason my dear, not you. That has to be some kind of comfort. It will come around.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 4:48 PM on Feb. 18, 2009