Do you think you could be a hold out on a jury? Didn't know where to put it so I went with current events.

Just wondering............if you were one or two of a jury who felt the opposite of the others .....regardless if it's guilty or not guilty......do you think you could hold on to your belief and possibly cause a mistrial? I would like to think I could, but under presuure it must be horrible. I realize it is impossible to really say, but just wondering what some of your thoughts are. Thanks!

silverthreads

Asked by silverthreads at 12:06 PM on Jul. 17, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• I honestly don't know. I mean, I wouldn't want to keep quiet and let everyone else convict someone if I strongly felt they were innocent but it has to be a TON of pressure to be the only one to disagree with everyone else. I'd probably just argue in hopes someone would change my mind lol.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 12:11 PM on Jul. 17, 2013

• I was the foreman on a jury and one lady was standing her ground, she asked to review the video of said crime multiple times and in slow motion, the other jurors and myself just couldn't see what she was seeing. Each time we'd take a vote, she said guilty! It truly was frustrating for everyone. After 2 days, she relented. I kind of felt bad for her but the rest of us refused to allow an innocent man go to prison!

A couple of months later, it was proven to be a set up by an officer on the force, no longer a police officer. Guess where he's at???
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 12:20 PM on Jul. 17, 2013

• If I truly believed that the person was innocent, I would be more likely to stand my ground than if I thought he was guilty. One is innocent until PROVEN guilty, after all. I've never served on a jury before, but I've served on disciplinary boards when I was a teacher. Not quite the same, but similar, I think. We had to review kids' records and decide punishments/school placements. So, I know my "fighting style", in a way.

Anyway, your question makes me think of the Henry Fonda movie "12 Angry Men." If you haven't seen it, see it. It will knock your socks off. One juror is a hold-out in a murder trial, asks repeatedly to see various pieces of evidence, drives everyone else over the top, wants to re-enact the crime, etc. Fantastic character work. It'll make you think about the power of your convictions.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 12:33 PM on Jul. 17, 2013

• Completely depends on the situation. If I was the only one thinking someone was guilty, well, I guess I'm odd "man" out, and I would go ahead with everyone else. If I felt the person was not guilty, I'd more than likely stand my ground and try to show why I felt that way.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 1:09 PM on Jul. 17, 2013

• If I thought the person was innocent, yes, I would absolutely stand my ground. I would refuse to be a part of sending what I think is an innocent person to prison.

If I thought they were guilty, I would stand by it but I would give the others a chance to try to get me to see what they see that makes them think differently. If they could convince me, or at least make me doubt, then I would be willing to change my mind. Otherwise, if I still think they're guilty, I'd like to think that I'd stick by what I think. A mistrial means they get another trial, so they could get new jurors who might be able to agree.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 1:32 PM on Jul. 17, 2013

• if i thought they were innocent and everyone else said guilty, yes i'd hold out. i can be very stubborn when i want to. id have issues sleeping at night if i thought an innocent person went to jail b/c of me.

if i thought they were guilty and everyone else said not guilty, id give in after a few hours or so. i know it sounds bad but if you convince 11 ppl of your innocence who am i to put you away.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:38 PM on Jul. 17, 2013

• I could never be on a jury period. I have a hard time not being prejudice.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:07 PM on Jul. 17, 2013

• Yep, I would be the bitch who won't go along with everyone else.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 12:09 PM on Jul. 17, 2013

• I would never be on a Jury.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:20 PM on Jul. 17, 2013

• If I believed that the person was not guilty, yes I could.
    If I thought they were guilty and the 11 others were convince of their innocence after debate etc., no I would no longer hold out.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:27 PM on Jul. 17, 2013