Flavored chemicals, yuck!

My stepson just arrived for a long weekend, bringing with him the Kool-Ade Mix-Ins his mom bought him. They're basically Kool-Ade powder dissolved in a small amount of liquid so you can add them to water on the go. I asked him to read me the label because he wanted me to try the drink and I have to avoid artificial sweeteners because of my migraines. Ugh! The stuff that's packaged and sold, and people buy it in droves!

Have you looked at any food labels lately and wished you hadn't?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 2:11 PM on Jul. 17, 2013 in Food & Drink

• I used to not look and now I pay attention. Doesn't mean the sugary cereal and Popsicles are verboten in the house. I just don't buy as much prepackaged or instant foods as I used to. They get a set amount of junk food each time I do major shopping and if they eat it too fast they don't get more until next time.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 3:19 PM on Jul. 17, 2013

• I always look at labels....but I would dare to say most people do not......everything that goes into my body has to be approved by my eyes.....

Answer by older at 2:17 PM on Jul. 17, 2013

• I often wish that I hadn't looked at labels.

Happily my kids like water and if they want to flavor it they use herbal teas. Kool Aid has never been in my house - yay!
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 2:27 PM on Jul. 17, 2013

• lol
    do not get me started... i can link you up...lol

the LAKE Dyes are the worst
    and red 40 the worst of the worse

anyone know what these food dyes are made from?
    i can link you up
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 4:05 PM on Jul. 17, 2013

• i didnt use to read labels, and i paid the price for it. now i stay away from certain things (HFCS, dextrose, several forms of MSG) and i feel so much better! i use to be nauseas all the time, lots of migraines, and joint pain...its all gone now.

the saddest box i ever read was Kraft Mac & Cheese...sad b/c of whats in it and sad b/c i freaking love it so much.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:33 PM on Jul. 17, 2013

• I admit... I buy TWO little tubs of kool-aid fruit punch every summer and we drink it over the 8 weeks. I love that chemical mess. lol. The kids get some but to be honest it is me and DH that drink most of it.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:55 PM on Jul. 17, 2013

• I always look at labels. My 6 yr old tried koolaid once and declared it disgusting. It's also never been in my house.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 3:01 PM on Jul. 17, 2013

• Happily my kids like water and if they want to flavor it they use herbal teas. Kool Aid has never been in my house - yay!

My stepson's mom buys him a lot of stuff that I wouldn't. I don't think all those chemicals could possibly be good, especiallywith his ADHD. But she's his mom, I have no say in that.
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 4:28 PM on Jul. 17, 2013