What to expect?

I have an appointment coming up with an OB-GYN Gynecology Dysplasia...im not a medical doctor but i think it has something to do with HPV. I've been doing alil research and some say the shots arent reccomended for pregnant women. My doc told me it was one of those things that "come and go" basically it would pass thru and be cleared up on its own. It didnt sound too reassuring so im trying to figure out if anyone's had this (HPV) during pregnancy or knows someone who had to go to an appointment like this what exactly do they do?

CollegeMommy89

Asked by CollegeMommy89 at 3:41 PM on Jul. 17, 2013 in Health

• Never had it and I do not know anyone who has. However it does not sound like it is something to shrug off to me.

http://www.webmd.com/cancer/cervical-cancer/cervical-dysplasia-symptoms-causes-treatments

Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:29 PM on Jul. 17, 2013

• HPV is amazingly common, just to ease your mind a bit. I haven't looked at the data recently but a year or so ago it was shown that upwards of 90% of women get it at some point in their lives, unknowingly, and it resolves on its own.

When it gets dangerous is when it doesn't resolve, or isn't caught until quite late, because it can lead to cervical cancer. What you can expect is to be followed closely by your doctor (probably every six months, depending on the "level" of dysplasia you have) to make sure it either resolves on its own or needs further intervention.

Your doctor is your best guide through this, of course. Keep up with your exams, make this a priority, and I think you'll be fine.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 8:21 PM on Jul. 17, 2013

• I have to say, also, that I'm not sure I buy into having the vaccine at this point in your life. The reason they give it at such a young age is because it is most effective when given prior to any sexual activity at all. I'm not a fan of the vaccine, as I have stated here before, but many others truly are and their advice will be of value, as well
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 8:23 PM on Jul. 17, 2013