PDF Files

Does anyone know how I can convert a PDF file from a Web site into a Word document? I'm trying to open my daughter's supply list from the homepage of her elementary school, which someone skimmed over with me in PDF form, but the text to speech software on my computer sees the whole thing as an image and won't read it. Sometimes I can get a PDF to open in Word, but this one doesn't seem inclined to do so.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 4:06 PM on Jul. 17, 2013 in Technology

• Baconbits- Ballad is blind.

Ballad, try to CTRL +A, then CTRL + C (select all and copy) and then Paste it into a word doc.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 4:14 PM on Jul. 17, 2013

• Why don't you just download the PDF software for free? That would most likely be the easiest way to do it.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 4:07 PM on Jul. 17, 2013

• Sorry I didn't realize that . I guess I never thought of that with all the great advice that Ballad has given out.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 4:29 PM on Jul. 17, 2013

• Get the free trial of Adobe Acrobat 11. You can download the PDF, then convert/export it to word.

Yeah, it's the long way around, but that's all I can think of, short of messing around with it all and emailing you what you need, again :)

If I need to do that, I'm more than willing.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 4:36 PM on Jul. 17, 2013

• Just let me know. :)
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 5:19 PM on Jul. 17, 2013

• I have threesolutions to offer - two are free and the other isn't. The free one is to go into the PDF document and save it as text. The trouble with that solution is that if the document uses columns or tales in any way you might be in for a few surprises - the text can be broken up and (nearly) randomly stuck together again resulting in some very strange sentences.

ABBYY PDF transformer will do it. It's worth the investment if you need to convert PDF a lot.

My last solution would probably be the first one I'd use - call the school and get them to mail you a copy of the original document (because, as you said, PDF is just a photo of another file).
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 4:10 AM on Jul. 18, 2013

• PGA, I'll try that.

Rosehawk, I tried to download the free trial, but it made my computer have a serious seizure. The speech program screws up al sorts of things. I may take you up on your offer, if PGA's idea doesn't work.
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 4:50 PM on Jul. 17, 2013