How can I help my child, without her losing friends?

My 13 year old daughter has recently been picked on. Another child has made up a rumor about her, and all of her friends believed that child. She has been really nice to them, the camp consulers told me. I've tried to tell her to ignore them, block them on any social network, and to even ask any of the children who are talking to the rude children why they are being mean, but they even turn their backs on her. I don't want to get too involved with the situation.

teammom8

Asked by teammom8 at 4:12 PM on Jul. 17, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• The tables will turn. They'll get tired of picking on her when they can no longer get a rise out of her, and target someone else
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 4:18 PM on Jul. 17, 2013

• I think the Camp should have a class on Bullying. If I were you I would contact whoever owns the Camp & make them aware of this situation. Request their policy on Bullying. Ask them if they are going to address this issue. Not only with this particular situation but Bullying as a whole. This is something that is especially important today even at camp. Isn't camp all about getting alone & having fun together? Call ASAP.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 4:19 PM on Jul. 17, 2013

• If she isat camp, what are the counselors doing about the situation?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:20 PM on Jul. 17, 2013

• unfortunately, you need to let her work this out- UNLESS it becomes worse and there are threats or violence
    fom about 12 -15 was SO rough for both my kids- LOTS of drama.
    Girls were frineds, not friends, saying things about one another then being fine..rumors .Ugh it was rough.
    The boys- well they were just mean
    unfortunately, the schools did nothing about any of it with either kid- UNTIL one girl took a heavy binder and whacked my daughter in the back of the head with it.

Talk about true friendship with her, talk about how you can't please everyone, and about how regardless of the rumors-SHE know the truth and to hang on to that truth. Let her know that these "friends" are missing out if they are acting this way toward her. These are rough years. Hang in there
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 4:38 PM on Jul. 17, 2013

• *typos...again!
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 4:39 PM on Jul. 17, 2013

• They'll get tired of picking on her when they can no longer get a rise out of her, and target someone else ~~PGA

Not always. I was picked on from 4th grade all through HS. After my freshman year I stopped reacting, and they still kept harassing me.

Like Paulie and Dardenella have said, if she's at camp, then the camp needs to be held accountable for these behaviors.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 4:39 PM on Jul. 17, 2013

• I agree that the camp should have policies in place for what to do about bullying. But this is also a teaching opportunity. Talk to your daughter about the harm that gossip can do, and what it means to be a true friend and stick up for others. I was bullied horribly in middle school, but my life literally changed miraculously in high school when I met an amazing friend who was willing to go against the flow and make a stand for me. We're still friends today.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:46 PM on Jul. 17, 2013

• Is this only a problem at the camp?
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:26 PM on Jul. 17, 2013

• The camp should have counselors to deal with this situation,
    morebee7

Answer by morebee7 at 11:27 PM on Jul. 22, 2013