Relocating,where to go!

We currently live in Ohio. relocating is a great idea for us as we have no family or concrete reason to stay. My SN son will be 18 YO when we move. DH and I love Orlando,so much to do and people so friendly. However I am open to suggestions. Where do you live? Do you like it?

RobinChristine

Asked by RobinChristine at 5:05 PM on Jul. 17, 2013 in Special Needs

• i heard florida has crappy services or people with disabilities - if that is a future concern

i live in Wisconsin, Winters can be tough, taxes are high, but public schools are better than average and services for kids with autism are good
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 5:12 PM on Jul. 17, 2013

• I live in Colorado. I love the climate and people are friendly, but we're 48th out of 50 as far as states that are easy to get adults with disabilities on Medicaid. We're looking into that for my stepson, and from everything I can tell, it would be better for an adult to already be qualified for Medicaid, if necessary, before moving here.

I have a friend who moved to Oregon with her teenage daughter, who has Down's Syndrome, because services for disabled adults are much better there. But I have no firsthand experience, just what she told me after her research.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:15 PM on Jul. 17, 2013

• Fiat, thanks! I know no matter where we go there will be a waiting list. Thor cannot handle the cold of Ohio,he has Reynaulds Syndrome,we hibernate in the winter. Also my city is not family friendly in any sense of the phrase
    RobinChristine

Comment by RobinChristine (original poster) at 5:18 PM on Jul. 17, 2013

• Live at least an hour from Orlando and not on the Disney side. Otherwise it will royally suck. Summers are horrible with tourists and the heat. The traffic and rude ass people are really bad if you are near Orlando. I would live outside Orlando if you decide to move down.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 5:46 PM on Jul. 17, 2013

• I live in Las Vegas. I liked it for the first 7 or 8 years, but I'm really over it now. I'm sick of the heat, the scorpions, and the traffic.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:53 PM on Jul. 17, 2013

• I'd say California for the climate ...
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:01 PM on Jul. 17, 2013

• I live in Raleigh NC and love it, would never live anywhere else. We are always on the Top 10 best places to live lists for everything. Services are being cut everywhere and there are waiting lists but I've been happy with the services my son with moderate autism has received.

Answer by missanc at 6:13 PM on Jul. 17, 2013

• Georgia suburbs
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 6:19 PM on Jul. 17, 2013

• Seattle is a pretty city with great seafood, restaurants, outdoor activities abound and a decent culture/art scene. Here's what I don't like:
    traffic is hell with all the water around here and so serious gridlock, home prices and general living expenses are HIGH in King county and the weather is poor 9 months out of the year. Summer is great though and if you have a boat, you can pay an expensive moorage to use all our water!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:18 PM on Jul. 17, 2013

• Good states I'd consider moving to would be Scottsdale, AZ, parts of Utah, Colorado, Vermont, New Mexico (if kids are grown), Boston if money is no object and I've heard the same about Raleigh (how are the bugs?). Montana is too cold, Oregon is too rainy, Illinois is too cold...hard choice you have to make. I guess look at where you can get a job!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:22 PM on Jul. 17, 2013