It's been a year ...

It's been a year since the shootings in the Aurora movie theater. I was just hinking about it the other day, with all the Trayvon Martin stuff from Florida. Aurora has faded from the public consciousness, but I was thinking how it really changed my life, even though I wasn't directly impacted by losing a loved one. I definitely took charge of my life more after that, realizing that you have to go after what you want or no one will, and you don't have a clue when it's going to be all over. It's also gotten me more nervous about what could happen to my kids, although I try to keep a rein on that fear.

Can you pinpoint an event or happening that gave you a moment of clarity like that?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 5:09 PM on Jul. 17, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't remember the date, but I remember the event - Hurricane Georges was racing toward the Mississippi River, and we were told to evacuate for fear of massive flooding up the river on impact. My daughter was 10 weeks old. Hubby and I loaded my car with everything deemed irreplaceable, and I took her and our dog and left him to secure the house. I inched along the interstate, which had been flipped so that both sides ran away from New Orleans, alone and afraid. I realized then that I was solely responsible for my helpless baby's life. It was a sobering thought.

After we returned home, I told hubby that I didn't want to live in NO anymore, that we needed to live somewhere safer. He searched for another job and moved us to another state. But I remember that moment of clarity and still work to keep my children as safe as reasonably possible.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 9:03 PM on Jul. 17, 2013

• All the close calls with tornadoes this year really turned my life upside down. Now I'm thinking do I want to live here? Why risk it? Would a shelter even make me feel safer? Why about when dd starts school? I can't just let her stay home every time there's a threat for severe weather, you know?

I was too young to really understand 9/11, so the most recent things that have really hit close to home and made an impact on my every day life have been natural disasters.
    Hollyhock.

Answer by Hollyhock. at 7:24 PM on Jul. 17, 2013

• It was about 2-3 months after the split from my ex. There at first I felt like I couldn't do it on my own. What was I going to do, how can I do it, etc... It took me finally going through stuff and clearing out his things that I finally felt some peace. It was like a huge weight off my shoulders and I was so happy for the first time in a good while.

It gave me a sense of freedom like no other. I knew from that point that it was all on me and I knew I could do it. I had to.... because I have my son that I have to think about.
    goofygalno1

Answer by goofygalno1 at 5:22 PM on Jul. 17, 2013

• Sept. 11, 2001. Sadly, I don't think I need to say more than that.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:49 PM on Jul. 17, 2013

• Sept. 11, 2001 as mrsmom110 said.
    marymargret

Answer by marymargret at 6:36 PM on Jul. 17, 2013

• Yes, but nothing I want to discuss here.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:20 PM on Jul. 17, 2013

• im with Holly, even tho i dont live super near the touch down spots. our tornadoes this year have really put things in perspective, i think it was the children who died. i mean, if kids arent safe at school...then where? i know its cruel, but things that happen on the far coasts or in another state are always sad, but they dont really affect my daily life. but you cant go anywhere here without seeing/hearing something that reminds you of that long week.

im sure there are several other times ive done that, but this is the most recent one.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:39 PM on Jul. 17, 2013

• It was when my ex left. So many people told me I needed to sell my home, rent a smaller apartment, etc. It was at that time when I put my foot down and said I CAN DO THIS! and I have. I've since remarried and I know that if something should happen to him I'd still be able to make it. I know who I am and what I want in life. I also have my plan on how to get there.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 10:04 AM on Jul. 18, 2013

• Too many....and always I am reminded that this life is not forever. Make the best every moment.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 10:50 PM on Jul. 17, 2013