Mission statement

I'm going anon because it just seems prudent but I'm a regular so don't yell at me.

I recently left a huge, urban hospital and am now employed by a small, Catholic hospital in the burbs.

Today I went for my new hire physical and all that jazz and they gave me my employee handbook. In reading the mission statement, this caught my eye:

"We believe in the dignity, uniqueness and worth of each individual and his God-given rights, and in the value of the family as an essential unit of society. Within the limits of our resources, we offer health services to all regardless of race, creed, color or financial status"

It has been so long since I've seen anything that specifically leaves out sexual orientation that I was taken aback.  On the very long commute home, I wondered how any hospital (especially one steeped so heavily in Christianity) could so very clearly exclude a segment of the population from their mission statement with regard to healing.

Secondarily, I wonder how any hospital that accepts government monies (think Medicare/Medicaid) could be so cavalier regarding their exclusionary philosophy.

I get that this is a Catholic hospital and I get that there are doctrinal issues that are going to cross over.  I wouldn't expect them to do abortions or anything else of that nature but this was interesting to me.  I'd love to hear your views on this.

(If you think I should recat, just let me know)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:12 PM on Jul. 17, 2013 in Religious Debate

• I'm sure it wasn't an overlook of any kind to not include sexual orientation in that statement by any means. I'm also sure there wouldn't be outright discrimination until the patients partner wanted to visit their terminally ill partner. Then it would become quite apparent what their exclusionary, discriminatory actions would entail and who they are aimed at.
    Sad but true. And it makes me cringe that these same groups of "Christians" like to claim how giving they are.
    Bullshit.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:55 PM on Jul. 17, 2013

• This is what drives me nuts about Churches that get into the health care BUSINESS and then expect to be above federal regulations while accepting federal monies. I suppose they can claim they "aren't' discriminatory" if they don't know the orientation of their patients but it's a bullshit excuse to try to justify their discriminatory policies and skirt federal regulations.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:36 PM on Jul. 17, 2013

• Well, so much for that benefit of the doubt. ^^^
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 6:56 PM on Jul. 17, 2013

• I have to wonder how they would discriminate based on sexual orientation. Are they going to ask everyone who comes in what their orientation is? They can't really determine based on appearance, because I know plenty of straight people who could come across as gay, and vice versa, so I can't see them using the whole "oh, he looks so feminine" or "she looks butch" kind of stuff.

I personally think that no one should be discriminated against, for any reason. If you feel abortion is wrong, then you shouldn't have one and you shouldn't be forced to perform one. But you also don't get to decide whether another woman, who doesn't think abortion is wrong, can have one or whether another doctor who doesn't think it's wrong can perform one.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 6:35 PM on Jul. 17, 2013

• My first thought is exactly how old is that statement? Maybe they haven't changed their handbook content in a very long time.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 6:37 PM on Jul. 17, 2013

• "I have to wonder how they would discriminate based on sexual orientation"

And I don't know that they would. But the exclusion, in and of itself, is a bit discriminatory. Or at least exclusionary.

"My first thought is exactly how old is that statement? Maybe they haven't changed their handbook content in a very long time."

It's possible. Let me see if I can find a date
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:50 PM on Jul. 17, 2013

• "Revised April 2011"
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:52 PM on Jul. 17, 2013

• I agree. And I'm a little uncomfortable with the whole thing, to be honest.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:12 PM on Jul. 17, 2013

• Were you thinking in that statement it should include sexual orientation? I only ask because I honestly have never noticed sexual orientation being addressed like this. Now maybe that is my fault and I agree, it is exclusionary, but I never thought about it (probably because I didn't have to). So, now I have to read the mission statement for the attorneys I worked for to see if they include it in their mission statement. What I'm wondering, is if it's standard now days and I just never noticed? Anyway, congrats on the new gig!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:14 PM on Jul. 17, 2013

• "Were you thinking in that statement it should include sexual orientation? I only ask because I honestly have never noticed sexual orientation being addressed like this"

That's a really good question. It HAS been included in all the statements that I've come across in the last decade but I've been in healthcare. At the last hospital I worked, inclusion of the LGBT community was a huge priority and that was well vocalized.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:36 PM on Jul. 17, 2013