(Baby Name Dilemma) What would you do if you were in my shoes?

My boyfriend and I are having our second child in December... We just found out we are having another boy. I was excited, but also nervous when we found out. My boyfriend is obsessed with the name Russell... It was his fathers name. My boyfriend wanted to name our first son Russell, but I was able to talk him out of it (Thank Goodness!). But this time is going to be a little bit harder... My boyfriends father passed away on Christmas Day 2 years ago and now he is sticking to his guns about the name. I personally have never liked the name and cringe at the thought of having to name my son Russell. If that wasn't bad enough my boyfriends last name is Ford... Do you see what Im getting at... I can't name my child Rusty Ford!! Please I need help!!! I even asked him if I could call the child by his middle name and he said No. He is not being fair and it really bothers me. Could someone please help me out!!

Amanda S.

Asked by Amanda S. at 9:16 PM on Jul. 17, 2013 in Baby Names

• Why not make Russel the middle name?
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:20 PM on Jul. 17, 2013

• This ^^^
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 9:21 PM on Jul. 17, 2013

• Another vote for making Russell the middle name.

If you can't convince him of that, just don't ever call the boy Rusty. Call him Russell or Russ.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 9:30 PM on Jul. 17, 2013

• I asked if he would be ok with Russell being the middle name and he said, "No" He wants it to be the first name. Thats why I asked if I could choose the middle name and call our son by that, but he still said, "No". I doesn't help that all of his family is excited and are already calling it Russ... I feel like I have no choice.
    Amanda S.

Comment by Amanda S. (original poster) at 9:31 PM on Jul. 17, 2013

• Hopefully, since compromise is the ideal, your boyfriend will go for using Russell as the middle name. I suppose if worse comes to worst, you could pick a nickname unrelated to Russell, and then just use it over and over again with the new baby till it sticks.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:32 PM on Jul. 17, 2013

• If anyone can think of some nicknames I would greatly appreciate it!
    Amanda S.

Comment by Amanda S. (original poster) at 9:42 PM on Jul. 17, 2013

• I think I would definitely appeal to your SO regarding the bullying possibilities with that name. At the very least, you could insist on NO nicknames, meaning Russell it is...not Russ, not Rusty....just Russell.

However, it's a sticky spot you find yourself in. I wish you the best
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 9:57 PM on Jul. 17, 2013

• What a coincidence. My grandpa was named Russell and passed away earlier this year. Maybe I'm biased lol but I don't think it's that bad. If it's this important to him why not just name him Russell? Put yourself in his shoes and try to think of a compromise that you would be happy with if you were him. He obviously wants everyone to call your son Russell.. Maybe make Russell the middle name but have everyone call him by his middle name? That way his name technically won't be Rusty Ford but people will call him Russell?
    Hollyhock.

Answer by Hollyhock. at 10:00 PM on Jul. 17, 2013

• Why does he get to decide what YOU call your son? If you name him Russell and you call him by his middle name, he can't exactly make you stop. It won't confuse the kid anymore than the 5 million nicknames little kids end up being called by. He will still know his name and that way he gets a choice when he gets older on what he wants to be called.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:40 PM on Jul. 17, 2013

• I'd tell him you are willing to compromise, so if he insists on Russell, then the baby gets your last name to avoid any possible teasing when he gets to school
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 10:53 PM on Jul. 17, 2013