Opinions please.

About 11 yrs ago my Sister said something to me that I have never forgotten. Since then we haven't had any kind of relationship.
In 2001, I had an abortion. I'm not going into detail as to why, or what the circumstances were, I will just say my life was in a horrible place. I was 28 yrs old, and my family was very upset with me. Hell, I was upset with me....
My Sister was very upset with me, and while my 6 yr old son (at the time) was standing beside me, she said these words: "You're a murderer". I immediately sent my son into the other room, and told her to leave. I didn't argue with her, I just wanted her away from my son. I agree she has a right to her opinion, but I don't agree that she should have said that in front of my son, and her nephew.
In 2005 our Father died, and that was the last time I saw her.
Since then I have made it a priority to focus on my children, and my Husband, and live the best life I can for me, and all of them.
(If it matters, she lost custody of her son in 2000 because of alleged drug use.)

So fast forward to now. I got an invitation for a party for her son (he's 18). I've not seen him for yrs, he probably won't even remember me.... I don't know if we should go. In my heart I really don't want to. What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:30 AM on Jul. 18, 2013 in Relationships

• Me... I would not go.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:31 AM on Jul. 18, 2013

• If you don't want to go then don't. If the last time you saw her was in 2005 then the kid wasn't real young(but you said she lost custody so perhaps it was sooner).

For me, it would depend on my relationship with the nephew not her. I understand your feelings toward her as her statement in front of your child was wrong but the party isn't about her it's about the boy.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 12:33 AM on Jul. 18, 2013

• Well she lost custody of him in 200 right? So did she ever gain it back or what?
    In either case, send a card.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:37 AM on Jul. 18, 2013

• I would go and start fresh from there.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 12:36 AM on Jul. 18, 2013

• I haven't seen or spoke to my Nephew since before 2005. He was living with his Dad then, about 4 hours away, so we never saw him. I think the last time I did see him, he was 4 yrs old.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:37 AM on Jul. 18, 2013

• No, she never did get custody back. I planned to send a card.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:38 AM on Jul. 18, 2013

• K, so then what's the point of the question. You don't feel like going so don't go but send a card (which you were planning on doing) problem solved.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:40 AM on Jul. 18, 2013

• Unless the invitation also included an apology, I likely wouldn't go either. I'm pro-life but I agree that it was wrong of her to express her opinion in front of your child.

It sounds to me like you don't have a relationship with her child either. In my opinion, the invitation was only sent for a gift or money for the child. I would probably send a card and maybe put money in it (if I was in a good mood). I really don't think I would go to the party.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 12:40 AM on Jul. 18, 2013

• Thanks everyone. I'll be honest, I guess I answered the question when I posted it.... I suppose it was a way for me to make the final decision, and not go. I'll send a card, and a note to my Nephew.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:50 AM on Jul. 18, 2013