Larry Elder and Piers Morgan

Here is the link to the article. What do you think of Elder's comments?

CNN host Piers Morgan on Wednesday made good on his offer to have conservative personality Larry Elder on his show to debate the George Zimmerman trial, Rachel Jeantel and race relations in the United States.

The exchange was just as confrontational and explosive as you might expect. Elder told Morgan that his interview with Zimmerman trial witness Rachel Jeantel was terrible as he “condescendingly” tried to convince her that she was a “victim.”

“This is a young lady who didn’t apply herself, a 19 year old who is still in high school. Instead of saying, ‘Young lady, take this as an opportunity to take stock of your life,’ you treated her like she was a victim. And that’s how you’re doing this whole thing about race and racism,” Elder said.

He went on to point out that there were 7,000 murders last year of black people, almost all of which were committed by blacks. Elder also said there have been 480 blacks killed in Chicago alone and 75 percent of the cases have gone unsolved. “Where are the cameras, where are the shows?” Elder asked Morgan.

“It’s outrageous to act as if black America should fear some non-black guy stalking some black kid at night. The likelihood of a black person being killed by a non-black person is extremely remote, which is why this became a big national issue in the first place.”

Morgan said he agreed with Elder about the unacceptable levels of violence in Chicago, though Elder doubted his sincerity and called him a “bleeding heart liberal.”

“Half of the murders in this country are committed by black people, even though black people are 12 percent of the population,” Elder countered. “This is why commonsensical people profile.”

Morgan asked his guest to “calm down,” but Elder just kept on tearing away at Morgan’s argument.

“I’m just bothered by how you are handling all this,” he said. “You think you are doing something for black people but you’re not. You’re making black people feel as if they are under siege and it’s not true, it’s an outrage!”

Morgan later asked Elder if he felt that Jeantel was “stupid,” to which Elder reminded the CNN host that he used the word “stupid.”

However, Elder did tell Morgan he thought he was “stupid” for trying to convince black people that racism is still a huge issue in present day America.

Getting back to the details of the Zimmerman case, Elder said he doesn’t know anyone who would have actually filed charges in the case due to the lack of probable cause in the first place. Morgan disagreed, calling it “wrong” that Zimmerman is getting away with no punishment.

“He’s a marked man!” Elder remakes. “He will never have a moment of peace! He’s killed somebody, morally he’ll have to deal with that.”

Morgan countered by saying that Zimmerman has it “easy” compared to Trayvon Martin, who is dead.

Elder later scolded Morgan for treating “black people like children” and told him he should be “ashamed” of himself.

Elder concluded by preaching the importance of personal responsibility, particularly within the black community. “As if that somehow is some sort of indictment of America and black people should look over their shoulders every night and act as if white guy is going to jump out of a bush and get them. It’s outrageous,” he said. “Hard work wins. Get an education, don’t pay attention to negative people, stay focused and you’ll be OK in America. That’s why most of the people in the world want to come here, that’s why you want to come here Piers.”

“Thank you, Larry Elder,” Morgan said.

marymargret

Asked by marymargret at 12:50 AM on Jul. 18, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• About damn time someone finally said something that made sense, plus the fact it may have knocked Morgan down a few pegs if anything. And that alone makes me smile!
    But I cannot for the life of me figure out why Jeantel said the word “cracka” is used to describe someone who “acts like they are police” or a “security guard.” Is complete and utter bullshit. And she contradicts herself from what she said while on the stand testifying.
    For some reason when I look at that chick, I think of what Honey Boo Boo would look like if she was black.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 1:26 AM on Jul. 18, 2013

• LOL MichiganMom....you are so right.

I agree with MM all the way. While I think he could have let Morgan talk more(dig his own grave) I thought it was a great interview/exchange.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 2:00 AM on Jul. 18, 2013

• I agree wit a lot of what Elder said, though maybe not with the delivery.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:03 AM on Jul. 18, 2013

• Elder sounded like the racist bastard fucktard he is.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Jul. 18, 2013

• I find it amusing that when black people point out what is wrong with their race, they are called racist. It's even more amusing that when a black person talks about how white liberals are part of the race problem, they are again called racist.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:33 AM on Jul. 18, 2013

• Zimmerman will not be able to live a normal life and neither can his family. There are "bounties" out on all of them which is wrong. So he's paying a very high price for what he did. If something were to happen to his family I don't know how he would live with it.

This whole mess is wrong on so many levels.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 10:42 AM on Jul. 18, 2013

• I saw it- and while I agree with some of what he said, he could have been a bit ...calmer about it
    as far as Jeantel goes- i did not see much of her on the stand- but this guy didn't seem to be at all understanding of the situation she was in
    as far as Zimmerman goes- poor baby- followed, and shot a kid and killed him for WHAT? And now he has to live with that? boo effing hoo
    I do not feel sorry for him AT ALL honestly
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:12 AM on Jul. 18, 2013

• I think Elder has some good points in what is posted above. Morgan's ratings are from sensationalist reporting. He tries to create or cause an emotional reaction and the best way to do that is to make a guest 'feel' a certain way (I.e. like a victim). In the years I have lived in areas where the word cracker (pronounced cracka due to lazy annunciation) it has always been in reference to a white person. Her saying otherwise just came across as insincere. I'm not sure I agree with all of what Elder said, but I agree with a good bit of it.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:49 AM on Jul. 18, 2013

• I agree with LE more on this. I don't like when people focus more on the minor problems before they address the bigger issues.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 9:17 PM on Jul. 31, 2013