Don't make a sound ... or you'll pay for it

This is outrageous. Totally outrageous.

http://www.allgov.com/news/unusual-news/zimbabwe-hospital-charged-women-for-each-scream-during-childbirth-130713?news=850548

Expecting mothers must pay a mandatory fee of $50 if they want to give birth in a Zimbabwe hospital. But that’s not the only cost they face.

According to Transparency International (TI), a nongovernmental organization, nurses in at least one local hospital made women pay $5 every time they screamed while giving birth.

The penalty was allegedly intended to discourage women from raising false alarms.

Women who didn’t pay the fee or simply couldn’t afford it were forced against their will to remain at the hospital until they paid their debt (which sometimes included accruing interest).

TI also reported that some women were forced to attempt escapes from the hospital, while others were hounded by debt collectors after they thought they had paid what they owed, only to be informed of other fees and charges.

Your thoughts?

goldpandora

Asked by goldpandora at 9:10 AM on Jul. 18, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• That's just totally fucked up. At one point while I was trying to push my daughter out, the doctor (who happened to be a man) told me not to yell because I needed to concentrate, an I wanted to jump up off that table and grab him by the throat and tell him to keep quiet. I can't imagine having to pay $5 for every scream, and especially since the comforts of the hospital in Zimbabwe are probably seriously lacking anyway.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:56 PM on Jul. 18, 2013

• Sounds like kidnapping and ransom.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:23 AM on Jul. 18, 2013

• That's horrible! Way to make more women take the risk of homebirths to avoid getting scammed by the hospital. The morons who made up the screaming out in pain rule need to have their nuts put in a vice (literally) and see if they can handle that w/out screaming out in pain!

Sadly, when compared to the way our medical care is going, the only difference is the physically being held against your will part. But the outrageous fees & debt collector part rings all to familiar. (I don't have outstanding medical bills- but they are ruthless when it comes to getting their money)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:20 AM on Jul. 18, 2013

• Yeah the mortality rate doesn't surprise me either. Don't they know screaming is often therapeutic? Pain needs to be expressed. If you were to force me to remain at the hospital I'd make sure your nurses were doing double duty. I can't go out and work for the money when you are keeping me here. Where is the logic in that?
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:30 AM on Jul. 18, 2013

• It sounds like they are aggressively working to keep the poor out of their hospitals.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 11:09 AM on Jul. 18, 2013

• I think you got it covered. Outrageously insane. One reason to consider home birthing or an epidural.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:14 AM on Jul. 18, 2013

• I think Obama sounds a lot better than Zimbabwe.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:32 AM on Jul. 18, 2013

• Yep all about the money. One way or the other they will get it.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:34 AM on Jul. 18, 2013

• (the average annual income is $150 ... in Zimbabwe)

^^^Anon- that's still one third of their wages. So it averages out about the same.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 10:17 AM on Jul. 18, 2013

• Actually, the cost for giving birth plus the risk of havingto pay (goodness knows how many) fines in a hospital is too expensive (the average annual income is $150 ... in Zimbabwe) for most expectant mothers thus driving them to have home births. However, home births in Zimbabwe and home births in the US are two entirely different things ... Apparently the infant and mother mortality rates are rising ... This is a country where EIGHT women die in childbirth every day ...
    goldpandora

Comment by goldpandora (original poster) at 9:22 AM on Jul. 18, 2013