Are all Hispanic people illegal Mexicans?

It's very disturbing to see such ignorance. Marc Anthony's criticism for singing god bless America at the MLB all star game. (Can do clicky links)

http://publicshaming.tumblr.com/post/55715208108/baseball-fans-super-angry-hispanic-american-superstar

Id like to just make three points.

1) just because you see someone who looks Hispanic doesn't mean they are Mexican. You have Puerto Ricans, Guatemalans, Hondurans, Ecuadorians ect.

2) Marc Anthony was born on New York and even if he was born in Puerto Rico they are a common wealth meaning they are LEGAL citizens anyway.

3) just because someone's Hispanic does not mean they re illegal or not American citizens.

So I guess my question is how many people are unaware of the differences between different Hispanic ethnicities and do you feel that it makes it okay for people to spew such racist comments? And are Hispanics who are legal citize s of America not allowed to have American pride and not allowed to sing god bless America?

skinnyslokita

Asked by skinnyslokita at 1:56 PM on Jul. 18, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• I think you'd have to seriously live under a rock to not know that there are differences in Latin descent.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 1:58 PM on Jul. 18, 2013

• That's so silly.. I still can't stand the ignorance when people think I'm Mexican because I speak Spanish....

I'm not offended by being called Mexican.. I'm offended by their stupidity, thinking that Mexico is the only country that speaks Spanish.

I could slap a bitch.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 2:00 PM on Jul. 18, 2013

• have you ever been asked if you were speaking Mexican? My dh has..... It's Spanish people lol
    skinnyslokita

Comment by skinnyslokita (original poster) at 2:03 PM on Jul. 18, 2013

• What I find most ironic about the illegal debate is, being from Chicago, most of the illegals I crossed paths with were Polish, not hispanic.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:04 PM on Jul. 18, 2013

• I think a lot of people have that belief where I currently live (TX) however, in somewhat of their raciest defense, the majority of Hispanics here are of Mexican decent (of course, they are not all illegal though). I think a lot of that thinking simply has to do with one's environment & experience, as well as upbringing.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 2:04 PM on Jul. 18, 2013

• Yes!! Such a pet peeve of mine... Oh, the ignorance.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 2:05 PM on Jul. 18, 2013

• Not all Hispanics are illegals. I get that. I also see a HUGE population of migrant workers, and the requirements are pretty lax around here on legality.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 2:05 PM on Jul. 18, 2013

• And are Hispanics who are legal citizens of America not allowed to have American pride and not allowed to sing god bless America?

My grandfather was full Mexican (born in PA, but his parents were born in Mexico). He fought in 3 wars for the US while in the Navy. One family reunion, a family member displayed a Mexican flag (semi-jokingly, because no generation in attendance was born in Mexico or knew much about their roots) and my grandfather ripped it down stating he is and ONLY is an American and will not be associated with anything Mexican. Lol.

My point is, I think it depends on the person. I know Mexicans that were born and raised here but refuse to take pride in being anything other than Mexican.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 2:18 PM on Jul. 18, 2013

• My aunt got stopped and asked for papers not long ago, and she's a fifth generation American who happens to look Hispanic. The level of animosity toward not only Mexicans but also Spanish-speaking people in general has risen alarmingly in recent years.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:21 PM on Jul. 18, 2013

• I don't think some ignoramuses care. It's easier to hate a group if you stereotype them all by negative assumptions.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 2:21 PM on Jul. 18, 2013