A Mother Violated a Public Pool’s “No Food or Drink” Policy . . . by Breastfeeding?

Nobody likes the rules they post at public pools . . . no diving, no running. But what about this? A woman in England named Imajica Gilroy was recently at a public pool with her 9-month-old son Riley.

She was sitting in the hot tub with him, when he started to get fussy . . . possibly because he was a 9-month-old sitting in a hundred-degree hot tub. Anyway, Imajica decided he was hungry, popped out one of her breasts, and let him latch on.

A lifeguard took notice and informed Imajica that breastfeeding her son was violating the pool’s “NO FOOD OR DRINK” policy. He said the rule applies to everyone at the pool, regardless of how old they are.

Well, Imajica wasn’t having it, and informed him that it’s against the law in England to prevent a woman from breastfeeding in public . . . which is true.

Eventually, the lifeguard decided to drop it. And after Imajica posted a complaint on the pool’s website, they issued an apology. But apparently she wasn’t satisfied, because she’s planning a “nurse-in” protest to mark National Breastfeeding Week next month.

The pool’s general manager released a statement saying they DO support a woman’s right to breastfeed in public . . . just not while they’re IN the pool or the hot tub.

http://929thebull.com/a-mother-violated-a-public-pools-no-food-or-drink-policy-by-breastfeeding/

Okay, aside from the fact that it's not safe for infants to be in hot tubs, what do you all think

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 2:55 PM on Jul. 18, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• I can see them not wanting a mom to breastfeed IN the pool or hot tub. If drinks aren't allowed, I get that. (I know when I breastfed I leaked). Plus I wouldn't want my baby latching on to my boob after having been in a public pool or hot tub - and the baby def shouldn't have been in there.

Answer by missanc at 3:11 PM on Jul. 18, 2013

• a 9 month old has no business being in a hot tub in the first place. and yes, she should not have fed him INSIDE the pool.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:16 PM on Jul. 18, 2013

• I am with the pool manager on this one. I'm all for breast-feeding on demand, but you're talking about asking a woman to step out of the communal hot tub and sit at the edge, not leave the pool to be sent to the dressing room or restroom. She's not being asked to leave the fun, just to keep the food out of the water. It sounds reasonable to me.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 3:08 PM on Jul. 18, 2013

• I can understand asking her to get out of the pool or the hot tub to breastfeed, as long as they didn't ask her to leave the grounds entirely, or go to the bathroom or something like that. I mean, they are right, technically it does go against their "no drink" policy. It's silly, I admit, but I also think it's a bit silly on her part to take it this far - they weren't discriminating against her for breastfeeding, they were trying to enforce a rule they have for everyone. Unless she can prove that there were other people around, slurping on sodas, and they singled her out, I really think she's gone a bit overboard here.

And I do find it a bit hard to take her seriously when she had her kid in a hot tub.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 3:17 PM on Jul. 18, 2013

• She's an attention whore exhibitionist. (No it's not because she was breastfeeding but because of when and where she was doing it and the fuss she is making afterwards by trying to stage a "Nurse-in" to protest because she was asked to abide by the SAME DAMN RULES everyone is required to follow.
    They didn't say she wasn't allowed to breastfeed on pool property etc. Just that it's against policy to do it while IN the pool or hot tub.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 3:26 PM on Jul. 18, 2013

• If she just got OUT of the hot tub before feeding the baby, I don't think anyone would have had an issue with it.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 4:57 PM on Jul. 18, 2013

• http://929thebull.com/a-mother-violated-a-public-pools-no-food-or-drink-policy-by-breastfeeding/

Clicky^^^ Anyway, I do think that she used poor judgment by taking her infant in the hot tub AND trying to nurse him while in the hot tub. She was not asked to leave & I hope no one shows up for her asinine protest.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:33 PM on Jul. 18, 2013

• Well, I agree that she shouldn't have had her baby in the hot tub, and I was thinking that nursing him in there might be at least a bit unsanitary anyway--you never know what bugs might be floating around in that water.
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 7:32 PM on Jul. 18, 2013