Portion size for a seven year old?

Do you feed your 7 year old the same as an adult? My ss eats like an adult..he's over weight. At his house everyone is obese... and they turned him to a food lover.. all he thinks about is food, and when he eats he finishes his whole plate by the time I take a few bites. He talks in his sleep also, and I sometime hear him talk about food.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:02 PM on Jul. 18, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• None of my kids are adult portions at 7. If he only visits your house, then there isn't much you can do - except make sure that he has healthy foods to eat at your house. Model good eating habits and healthy activity, hopefully he will see the good example.

Answer by missanc at 3:05 PM on Jul. 18, 2013

• My daughter is five and not seven, but I'd guess she eats a third of what a typical adult would at a meal.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:09 PM on Jul. 18, 2013

• That's sad! Poor kid. I agree with missanc.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 3:09 PM on Jul. 18, 2013

• My husband gets about a portion and a half worth of food.. I get a regular sized portion, and my daughter, 7 gets about half what I eat.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 3:11 PM on Jul. 18, 2013

• Have him make a fist.
    This is the amount of food he should be eating at one sitting. 1/2 of that should be vegetables, 1/4 meat and 1/4 starchy food.
    The more active the more food you require but not that much in reality.
    One thing you can do is put the amount of food on each person's plate. Do not serve family style.
    If he complains that he wants more you tell him to drink a glass of water first.
    His brain is not having the chance to receive the message that the stomach is full.
    I would talk to your hubby first, of course.
    Your family could institute the rule o one bite and put the fork down. Chew 15 times (I believe 30 is actually recommended)
    Perhaps you can get him interested in moving activities and even in preparing some food dishes.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:35 PM on Jul. 18, 2013