I am depressed, i live with my mother have a low income & a 7 year old i cant get motivated & idk how to help myself??

im 24 im currently living with my mother, & i am constantly depressed im afraid to take the medications referred by doctors due to my suicidal thoughts in the past, the side effects make me cautious, i feel isolated from the outside world, its also affecting me doing fun activities with my 7 yr old, i need help, any ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:58 PM on Jul. 18, 2013 in Health

• Do you have Medicaid or some other insurance that would allow you to see a counselor?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:07 PM on Jul. 18, 2013

• yes, but its hard for me to express myself to strangers, & they often ask why are u depressed & idk the answer of why I feel this way or what caused it,
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:10 PM on Jul. 18, 2013

• If you can sit down and make a list of things you want to do to escape this situation.
    Your education? Your job experience? What you are willing to do to get out on your own...Look at the Sunday paper and see what the rental rates are in the area you want to live...Then its time to see a therapist or counselor..Dial 211 and in most areas there is programs through social services that can help you get out on your own and hook you up with mental health and you go from there...Once you build up your esteem and empower your mind that list is very important...Show your plans and they will help you!!! I got help because of Domestic Violence they have reach out programs for young women like you!!!! Take that first step forward
    hau_siyoka

Answer by hau_siyoka at 4:15 PM on Jul. 18, 2013

• If nothing changes, nothing changes.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 4:24 PM on Jul. 18, 2013

• Take control of your life and apply for a grant to go to college. You qualify as low income. You are very young and have your lifetime ahead of you. Seize the day.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 4:25 PM on Jul. 18, 2013

• There are many business who will hire you to work part-time and at the same time, pay a big chunk or all of your tuition to learn more. Start today asking around to learn who in your area offers such a great deal and go there to apply. Our daughter got a college education by working evenings in medical records at a local hospital and they paid her tuition as long as she got good grades!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:40 PM on Jul. 18, 2013

• only you can change the way you feel. It's hard sometimes to lift yourself up. Do you have support from friends or family? it's important if you've had sucidal thoughts before to have connections with family and friends. It's not healthy for you to feel this way. If you don't want to seek help with counseling then you have to do some deep insight with yourself and your feelings. I wish you the best!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 5:36 PM on Jul. 18, 2013

• find others that are more need than you and help them
    nothing brings you up like helping people who have it worse than yourself... puts things into perspective
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 5:48 PM on Jul. 18, 2013

• You have to make yourself change yourself so you can be better for your son. He needs his Mother now more than he ever will.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 6:10 PM on Jul. 18, 2013

• Hey Mama! I would like to listen and help if I can! PM if you're interested.
    kbishop8688

Answer by kbishop8688 at 8:40 PM on Jul. 18, 2013