Leech bite?

My dh got a leech bite when he was fishing down at the dam. It bled for awhile. This happened about a week ago. It is now swollen and itchy. How long until it heals?

Autumn07

Asked by Autumn07 at 5:55 PM on Jul. 18, 2013 in Health

• If it is swollen after a week I would think he would want to have a doctor take a look.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 6:38 PM on Jul. 18, 2013

• Yes.. if only he had some insurance. :( Thank you for your answer! I told him to put some ointment on it and to care for it. He was pretty much just ignoring it. It's got some scabbing goin on.
    Autumn07

Comment by Autumn07 (original poster) at 6:46 PM on Jul. 18, 2013

• If it is scabbed over what I was going to suggest won't work, It would really have to be open at least partially.
    That would be to soak it in Epsom salts as hot as he can take it. but
    itching happens with healing quite often. It is the swelling that is bothersome.

This will not help him now but if he is going into the woods or river etc he may want to stop at a sportsman's store and pick up an extractor (that is the name of the one we got) It basically will suck a stinger or venom out of a small site and it is no bigger than an epi pen. I think ours cost $15.00 and it saved us a lot of pain and sorrow.
    We had two kids who stepped on a ground hornet's burrow and were stung several times each. We used the extractor and it may have saved their lives according to the EMTs
    Hope you find a solution.
    Maybe a health clinic?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 7:37 PM on Jul. 18, 2013

• Sure it was a leech? If so it sounds like maybe the water was dirty and he has an infection, does he have a fever or anything? I would say make sure that none of the "feelers" are still in his skin, if he ripped it off they could be, I agree with the Epsom salt and some Neosporin.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 10:45 PM on Jul. 18, 2013

• He said it doesn't hurt or anything, it's just swollen, like a mosquito bite. Also itchy when he comes home from work. He wears workboots all day 5days a week. So it's probably not getting too much air and circulation. Yes, it was a leech. He showed it to me when he took off his shoe. He was fishing at the dam and stood in the water up to his knees, wearing the shoes. It's very rocky and slippery. I told him he should have put salt on the leech to get it come off, that's what I did when I was a kid and had a leech on me. He just ripped it off. Then I read he shouldn't have done that cause it could leave bacteria behind. I've never seen a leech bite like that. And I grew up right by a lake full of those gross leeches. I told him he should care for it and put ointment and a bandaid on it. I'll remind him again. Thank you for your replies, ladies! :)
    Autumn07

Comment by Autumn07 (original poster) at 4:54 AM on Jul. 19, 2013