Have any of you tried those kits for growing mushrooms at home?

A friend was telling me about them, and I thought the project might be fun for the kids. Do they really work well?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 6:46 PM on Jul. 18, 2013 in Home & Garden

• I haven't but you can get an oyster mushroom growing kit from Home Depot for $20, so maybe I will try it.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 7:15 PM on Jul. 18, 2013

• EEK. I'd be afraid. With my luck I'd end up growing a poison one! LOL!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 6:48 PM on Jul. 18, 2013

• I have not but it sounds like something fun and interesting.
    If you do it let us know how it works for you.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 6:57 PM on Jul. 18, 2013

• I wouldn't - my dad used to work for a trucking company that shared space with a mushroom farm, and they put manure on their mushrooms to make them grow. I love to eat mushrooms, but that smell totally put me off the idea of ever trying to grow them. lol I know that you can probably grow them without the manure, but it just totally turned me off to the idea.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:52 PM on Jul. 18, 2013

• I have grown button mushrooms from a kit 2 times, and hen of the woods once. I don't like oyster mushrooms, so I haven't grown those. It's time consuming, and I didn't get a lot of mushrooms. My kits didn't grow twice. It would have been cheaper to buy mushrooms from the store, but a kid would like it.

musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 8:03 PM on Jul. 18, 2013

• Um, aren't those illegal? The kids could hallucinate. OHHH- not those kinds of mushrooms! LOL :p I've never heard of the kit you're talking about, but I bet if you just didn't clean out the fridge for a while, you'd find all kinds of interesting things growing in there! lol :p

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:28 PM on Jul. 18, 2013

• We did have one once. We didn't get very many. I think it was the lack of humidity. They like damp, and Colorado is not damp.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:25 PM on Jul. 18, 2013

• That's what my friend got, from Amazon, a kit for growing oyster mushrooms. He says he's grown a whole huge mass of them from the kit, and each kit can be used twice. So it seems easy and worth the price. We love mushrooms around here. It has to be pretty idiot proof, though, if I'm going to try it.
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 7:18 PM on Jul. 18, 2013

• I guess I don't know what oyster mushrooms taste like. There are other kinds on Amazon, I think. Some of them you just add water, and some you use old coffee grounds.
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 8:06 PM on Jul. 18, 2013