If all you know is your own religion...

Or denomination...
Or interpretation...

If you have NO idea what other people believe...
or what other religions teach...

If you've not taken the time to truly educate yourself on these matters
or even on the history/development and so forth of your own religion as a whole and the doctrines/teachings therin (in a general sense)

HOW can you honestly claim that your way of faith is the right way, or the only way?
How would you know? If you don't even know what else is out there? How could you possibly know?

Isn't that merely blind faith? Are you really satisfied, or comfortable, with believing blindy?

Wouldn't you want to take the time to weigh the different "options," the various teachings, and test them for validity and so forth for yourself, instead of taking someone else's word for it? Shouldn't your spiritual journey, and (if you believe it is related) the destiny of your soul mean enough to you to test for yourself what you feel is truth in an informed way?

Wouldn't such a lack of actual education or understanding put you at a disadvantage in regard to those who have actually taken the time to learn for themselves? Would you really have any right to presume to know better than they do, or assume any sort of superiority or authority over them?

Or would, due to their better understanding and superior education (so to speak), they perhaps have a leg up on you?

bandgeek521

Asked by bandgeek521 at 7:31 PM on Jul. 18, 2013 in Religion & Beliefs

• We're not dealing with someone who is working with a full deck. Hell she's missing over half of it and is clueless as to why no one wants to play cards.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:35 PM on Jul. 18, 2013

• haha, oh I know :P
    bandgeek521

Comment by bandgeek521 (original poster) at 7:36 PM on Jul. 18, 2013

• they know that their way is the only way & the right way because they dismiss all other religions as stupid and false. i know because sadly this was how i was raised to think.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:37 PM on Jul. 18, 2013

• I find it puzzling and kind of sad when anyone wants to know only one aspect of one idea, about religion or anything else. The world has so much to offer. I will say that I know a lot more about Christianity than I do about any other religion because I've studied it more, but I wouldn't want to know nothing about ideas and beliefs that are important to so many in the world. And within Christianity, I've hopped around from church to church and at least briefly visited most of the common denominations in America, just to find out the different ways people worship because it's fascinating.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:38 PM on Jul. 18, 2013

• I agree, Ballad - there is SO much to know, so much fascinating information. Why anyone would not be interesting in learning as much as they can baffles me. Though I get what tnm is saying - sadly many people are raised to be closed minded and willfully ignorant, and it's sad. Not only sad, but it's dangerous, when such ignorance can lead to prejudiced-charged violence or enmity...
    bandgeek521

Comment by bandgeek521 (original poster) at 7:40 PM on Jul. 18, 2013

• You definitely have a leg up on me bandgeek and if I need answers to anything pertaining to Religion, I would definitely seek you out!
    Religion is important to me but not important enough to completely study it. I know what I believe and I'm certainly interested in what others believe.
    Am I at a disadvantage, sure, but again, Religion Isn't my forte so to speak.
    Thankfully we have people like yourself who has studied Religion!
    The older I get and the more I see, the more doubt I have about Religion.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 7:40 PM on Jul. 18, 2013

• But yes, I think you are doing yourself and your "religion" a great disservice if you have not studied anything outside of it and then go around trying to proclaim yours is correct beyond all doubt. Not to mention makes you come off as uneducated. I have to question who it is you are REALLY trying to convince of your beliefs? Everyone else or yourself.

**Not that it needs to be said but just in case the "You" in the statement is of course general and in no way is directed at a specific person and definitely not directed at the OP.However there are some out there that seem to suffer greatly with reading comprehension issues. **
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:40 PM on Jul. 18, 2013

• My opinion is that if that is your faith and it s what you choose then the choice to explore or not is your choice.

We all choose even if it is to believe the one faith or reject it and go not farther.

Whether it is the one, true faith is also a personal decision for each person.
    Living a faith is a lot different than doing research on a faith. A person who lives their faith has a leg up on everyone who does not.
    They understand and accept what they believe and they act accordingly.

Having read Kristi's comment I can only ay that if you are referring to someone or their posts it would be nice not to make it a general question, but give people a heads up.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 7:43 PM on Jul. 18, 2013

• Aww shucks, thanks PMSMom, lol

I certainly didn't mean *you* are at a disadvantage. I was referring to one type of person in particular, the kind who doesn't even bother or care to know anything else. I certainly more know about Christianity because that's what I affiliate with and devote most of my time to studying. So when it comes to other faiths, or even those more knowledgeable about my own, I am at a disadvantage myself. But people like us - including you - who are at least *open* to information are at an advantage when compared to people who don't even bother to seek any, or plug their fingers in their ears.

and yes, haha, the statement is DEFINITELY a general one, thanks Kristi 

bandgeek521

Comment by bandgeek521 (original poster) at 7:45 PM on Jul. 18, 2013

• (and by know more about Christianity I mean as opposed to what I know about other faiths, not that I know more about Christianity than anyone else, haha!)
    bandgeek521