I would very much like to know ...

Where is it written in the job description that Mom is the one who has to scrape everybody's caked-on dry cereal off the spoons and bowls and the frozen burnt on cheese and crust off the cookie sheets and pizza cutter, clean the peanut butter and jelly off the counters, unload the dishwasher and load it up again, throw away the frozen pizza wrappers, and gather up stray cups, all before she cooks dinner? My daughter is five and still short, I get it that she can't reach the faucets. But I swear to God, I'm tempted to close the kitchen down for the men in this house. I want to cross out that part of the Mom Contract and initial it, signifying that if I ever agreed to it, I don't now.

Sorry, I know I've vented about this before, but grrr!

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 9:02 PM on Jul. 18, 2013 in General Parenting

• Go on strike. I've done it before. No cooking, grocery shopping, laundry, etc until everyone starts to do their fair share. It gets the message across pretty fast
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 11:23 PM on Jul. 18, 2013

• My daughter is five and still short, I get it that she can't reach the faucets.

NOT true! Get her a simple little bathroom stool. We have one that lives int eh corner of the kitchen. DD uses it to get ice and to run water into her bowls.

We just started a new system at our house because I was SICK of doing everything. Each kid now has a white board on the wall. Every day they have chores written on it. DD is ALWAYS to pick up her toys from the living room and DS is ALWAYS to wipe off the table and counters after meals. Plus I add one or two more. Such as empty dishwasher or wipe down the bathroom counters. If the boxes are not checked off by dinner time then they have not earned their video game time for the next day. If they have already lost video game time for some other reason then they loose tv time as well. I mean business dang it! :0)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:10 PM on Jul. 18, 2013

• hugs
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 9:38 PM on Jul. 18, 2013

• If moms would raise their sons to not think it is a womens job to do house chores. This would never be an issue.

Answer by louise2 at 9:39 PM on Jul. 18, 2013

• That is just the beginning... My children, ages almost 11, 9 1/2, and 7 1/2 always want to know why they have to do chores... (i have a 4 1/2 year old also, but he is not big enough to vacuum and such yet) My oldest is the worst right now and wants to get paid. Which I tell him, fine. I will work something out, but then you better be paying "rent" and for meals and clothes, electricity and rides places etc.... b/c we really can not afford right now an allowance of sorts, so I let him know all the things he gets.
    anyway. I have been working on my kids to rinse their stuff off. It has not worked yet. Even I forget. Just let those nasty spoons soak while you prep dinner. Get a system working. While water boils, wash some dishes. I dunno. I don't think I have helped. Good luck to ya!
    StacyC072469

Answer by StacyC072469 at 12:33 AM on Jul. 19, 2013

• I've gone on strike before as well Nimue! Amazing how quickly everyone pitches in when mom Isn't doing EVERYTHING for them, lol
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 1:37 AM on Jul. 19, 2013

• I like your style, Mommie! And Louise, you're right, but I didn't get to raise my stepson from the beginning.
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 9:44 PM on Jul. 18, 2013