The wrath ofGod?

My boyfriend considers himself a Christian but refuses to follow any organized religion because he sees most of it as hoops that men have set up for others to jump through. I tend to agree with him. But anyway, he just asked an interesting question, and I thought I would pose it here for the sake of discussion.

He's watching a history show about the Black Death that swept through Europe in 1348, killing a third to a half of the population in some places. Of course, there were the Christians of the time who said the plague was the wrath of God poured out on humans because of their sins.

His question was, "It's almost seven hundred years later, and people are still spewing out the same shit about the wrath of God. But what about the pats on the back? Doesn't God ever do anything except send floods and tornadoes and plagues?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 9:57 PM on Jul. 18, 2013 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think there are people who pay attention to what they say God has done, positively, like healing and so forth, but for the most part, since fear and that kind of negativity is a huge motivator in terms of scaring or guilting people into belief. As long as things happen that are outside of the control of man you will have people attributing it to God ;)

Of course, I tend to have a Deistic way of seeing God, in terms of His interference in this world, so I don't think ANY of it is His doing...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:22 PM on Jul. 18, 2013

• Oh god, at first I read this as the wrath of Kahn... wth is wrong with me tonight? Sorry.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:26 PM on Jul. 18, 2013

• (sorry Ballad - we just have Benedict on the brain. It's a non-curable state) ;)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:44 PM on Jul. 18, 2013

• "And I can't even spell tonight... good god I need sleep."

You can always fall asleep to Benny boy reading to you - via any of the many audio books you can play online ;)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:45 PM on Jul. 18, 2013

• To answer the question, I have no idea. I don't believe in God, but rather in a Creator who created everything and then became it all. It was the whole negative side of God that so many people push that made me change my mind about God v a Creator.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:29 PM on Jul. 18, 2013

• And I can't even spell tonight... good god I need sleep.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:31 PM on Jul. 18, 2013

• "Oh god, at first I read this as the wrath of Kahn... wth is wrong with me tonight? Sorry."

hehe :D
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:43 PM on Jul. 18, 2013

• I sum it up like Forrest Gump, "shit happens".
    I think have a belief system keeps some people in check, but do you think God singles out people to bless/curse? Even in a giant case scenario?
    I think it is a bit self absorbed to think god grants or takes from you as a person, I am in agreement with your boyfriend, :)
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 10:54 PM on Jul. 18, 2013

• Ugh- I answered then left right away, I jsut read through and realise I typed ass instead of as.
    OOOPS!
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:13 PM on Jul. 18, 2013

• "You can always fall asleep to Benny boy reading to you - via any of the many audio books you can play online ;)"

That sounds lovely. Though I rather have him in bed beside me, reading a bedtime story....
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:56 PM on Jul. 18, 2013