Do you share your Wifi?

My dd had some friends over for movies and girl time (girls only). 1 of them has never been here before and she was only here for 5 minutes before she asked for the wifi password.
Dd didn't give it to her as she invited her friends over for movies and for social time, not for her friend to be surfing the internet.
Also, she doesn't pay the bill, I do. I have a limit on how much data I can use every month.

Do you consider it rude for someone to ask for your wifi password?

tempsingl3mom

Asked by tempsingl3mom at 10:30 PM on Jul. 18, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• It wouldn't bother me if it were family visiting from out of town because their usage would be minimal, but I wouldn't want random kids asking for it. I pay the bill - it's for family use only.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 10:36 PM on Jul. 18, 2013

• I admit, I think it's rude.

At my old apartment, the kid next door used to come over at least once a week asking for my password so he could go online for his homework. I thought that was so weird
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 10:32 PM on Jul. 18, 2013

• I do NOT however I have unlimited Data so it does not matter. If I had a plan which limited my data I would in fact be more concerned about others such as guests having access to the internet at my place as I would not know how much data whatever activity they are planning on would be required and I wouldn't want to go over my limit.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:34 PM on Jul. 18, 2013

• It wouldn't bother me, but I have unlimited usage. However, if all that girl did was surf the Internet, it would be a long time before she was invited back

Answer by missanc at 10:34 PM on Jul. 18, 2013

• Never had that happen but I think it would be rude and I wouldn't give it out. How do I not know the kid is banned from the Internet at home?
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:47 PM on Jul. 18, 2013

• I keep ours locked because I don't want any neighbors thinking they don't have to buy their own because they have free access to mine, but if a friend were over and asked to connect I wouldn't have a problem. I don't ever have teens over but I wouldn't think it's rude to ask, because internet access nowadays is as common as asking to using the bathroom, IMO (well except for the part about NEEDING too lol, but my point being is that its pretty second nature to teens). I guess my only concern would be if the girl wasn't allowed to use it at home so thought she couldn't get away with it with me, but if she had a cell phone to begin with I wouldn't really figure that's the case. If it turned out all she was doing was surfing the internet at my house I might log on, kick her device off, and change the password and say oops not sure what happened sorry!!
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 11:12 PM on Jul. 18, 2013

• I used too share it with my downstairs neighbor ..... who was a great friend of mine . .... we helped each other a lot ..... she would watch my daughter for me if I had too work late or my hubby had too go into work earlier than usual... and I would take her too her doc visits and she would come and hang out with me . So it was the least I could do ... basically I trusted her.
    Gypsyd

Answer by Gypsyd at 10:53 PM on Jul. 18, 2013

• If it's house guests (like staying for a few days), then yes. But if they're only here for an hour or for a party or something, no.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 11:12 PM on Jul. 18, 2013

• No and the first thing you do make sure the network is secure. I see a lot of them wide open and they do not realize it.
    by2013

Answer by by2013 at 11:15 PM on Jul. 18, 2013

• I've never been asked that question. I suppose it depends on who is asking.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 1:34 AM on Jul. 19, 2013