What would you do?

Hi! We just relocate (military) and I wanted to change our small patio and do a decent makeover so I can feel at home but the thing is that my husband friend is telling us what to do and what not to do. Im going to be at the house for 3 years so my question is: is it worth it to do anything at all?
I understand when people say oh but is a waste of money but the thing is then if I do that then Ill never going to feel at home until we buy a house when he retires.

Were going to be living on base and I can make some changes but nothing crazy at least if its a good job and nothing against the rules.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:53 PM on Jul. 18, 2013 in Relationships

• Plants, nice furniture? You don't have to spend a fortune, you could get that kind of metal tent/gazebo thing that can be moved, a fire pit, probably won't last 3 years, ours went bust after 3, and we took really good care of it.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 10:56 PM on Jul. 18, 2013

• In my case I want to put mulch, rocks and few decorative things.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:57 PM on Jul. 18, 2013

• Who owns the property? If it's your hubby's friend then he gets the say since it's his home. If it is rented then you need to keep in accordance with the regulations laid out in your lease. generally speaking if you are not the homeowner than you can eliminate things like painting, staining, or additions and stick to patio furniture and flower pots. Easily moved and cleaned and nothing that puts holes in any of the siding or railings.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:58 PM on Jul. 18, 2013

• Sure, but if you do any big purchases make sure they are things you can take with you to your next home.
    Hollyhock.

Answer by Hollyhock. at 10:58 PM on Jul. 18, 2013

• I wouldn't sink thousands into it but I would t mind spending some money.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 10:58 PM on Jul. 18, 2013

• I want to put mulch, rocks

Not unless the home belongs to you.
    KristiS11384

• Just for the record the patio is tiny....not too much room at all. Is more concrete than anything.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:02 PM on Jul. 18, 2013

• Is it military housing? I doubt you can, just do things that can be moved with you.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 11:02 PM on Jul. 18, 2013

• Doesn't matter how big the patio is. You do not own the home so you cannot make changes to the home, siding, or landscaping without the homeowners permission. No mulch, no rocks, no "hedging trim" or changing flowers in a flower bed. No holes, hooks, railings, stain, paint, or even a swingset. You can have anything that you can move such as patio furniture, portable gazebo, portable fire pit (depending on regulations) flower pots etc. But you can't make any changes that you cannot easily remove when you leave.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:06 PM on Jul. 18, 2013

• No adding a fence, No digging holes, etc.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:07 PM on Jul. 18, 2013