how can i get my baby to sleep on her own?

my baby only knows to nurse to sleep. Shes 6+ months almost 20lbs and not just do we all want the whole nights rest but im only 4'8" and 100lbs my back needs a break. Im not close enough to family for them to help and her doc told me i should slow down with her, shes in the 95 percentile for weight now when i birthed her she was only in the 5percentile. Im glad shes caught up but my back is killing me. Please help

lovemybabies121

Asked by lovemybabies121 at 12:25 AM on Jul. 19, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Nurse her, then put her down while she's awake. Turn on some quiet music, and let her learn to soothe herself to sleep without the breast. It may take some time to change her routine, and you may have to le her cry some. A pacifier might help if she needs the sucking action.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:26 AM on Jul. 19, 2013

• On drjaygordon.com you will find an article titled "Changing the Sleep Pattern In The Family Bed." Best damned info on doing this I've ever seen. BUT be warned: She's young for it to succeed. He doesn't recommend it till one year. And you may be expecting too much of her too soon.

And fair warning: She will wake you in the middle of the night regardless. For the rest of your life. **grin** Motherhood is a lifetime sentence of middle-of-the-night stress ing!

Answer by gdiamante at 1:58 AM on Jul. 19, 2013

• From now on sit up when nursing. Put the baby down alone.
    IMHO, next baby do not do that.

Answer by louise2 at 7:36 AM on Jul. 19, 2013

• Shorten the nursing time and, as mentioned, put her down when groggy, not asleep. She needs to learn to self soothe. Also as mentioned, you might also add music or a white noise machine while you are nursing and then the music/noise will become very familiar and soothing. Make the nursing time shorter and shorter and keep the other things in the routine . You want to get to the point where you can cuddle a little and put her to bed. GL
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 8:07 AM on Jul. 19, 2013

• it might be hard but nursing shorter time but every kid is different. good luck!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 4:07 PM on Jul. 31, 2013