Peanut allergies and school

Most of the preschools in my area are peanut free, including the one my little ones go to. I understand why and I'm okay with that, I pack peanut free. But what happens to the kids with peanut allergies the very next year when they go to elementary school and there are kids with peanut items in their lunches?

Asked by missanc at 8:54 AM on Jul. 19, 2013 in General Parenting

• Our elementary is peanut free as well. The middle school has no such restrictions on lunches brought from home but does not have anything with peanut products sold at the school.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 9:11 AM on Jul. 19, 2013

• My son's school is not peanut free. Those who have allergies sit at a separate table at lunch time.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 9:22 AM on Jul. 19, 2013

• How is it that 30 years ago when I went to school, there were no allergies? You could pack whatever you wanted, peanut butter and jelly was a regular on the lunch menu. Kids weren't passing out and dying during lunch.
    What has happened? Can anyone explain this?
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:02 PM on Jul. 19, 2013

• The parents need to teach there kids about their allergiesand to not eat any one elses food. The parent need to inform the school of the allergy too.

Answer by louise2 at 9:02 AM on Jul. 19, 2013

• They will have peanut free tables in the cafateria. My son still won't bring pbj because his best friend is allergic and he doesn't want him to be without a freind!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:23 AM on Jul. 19, 2013

• Last year there was a kid (or two) in my son's class with some severe nut allergies. The sent home a notice about not bringing snacks in with nuts, there was a sign posted on the door/window as you came in saying the room was nut free, and there was a special table set up with red tape around the edges of the desk and marked as a nut-free zone.

We were never told that XYZ food was banned, we were just made aware of the allergy and left to our own devices about what to do about it.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 10:35 AM on Jul. 19, 2013

• I agree with you PartyGalAnne. I don not remember all these alergies back when me or my kids where going to school.

Answer by louise2 at 2:43 PM on Jul. 19, 2013

• Our school isn't peanut free. I don't know what kids with allergies do there.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:15 AM on Jul. 19, 2013

• I was just asking because I know our elementary isn't peanut free (from when my older ones were there)

Comment by missanc (original poster) at 10:19 AM on Jul. 19, 2013

• How is it that 30 years ago when I went to school, there were no allergies?

I remember having a girl in elementary school who was allergic to peanuts. From a young age, her parents taught her not to eat anything that another kid offered her. We were all encouraged to ask our moms not to send birthday treats that had peanuts in them, but the main responsibility rested on the girl and her parents. Maybe allergies are more widespread today.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:32 PM on Jul. 19, 2013