Online public school?

This is not for me nor my children (my children are only 1 & 2, and I plan on homeschooling). But back to my point my parents don't exactly have many more choices on where to send my brother due to the fact the district they are in is a city school and is AWFUL. The public school won't allow him back (he was AWFUL and got expelled) The alternative school was a joke and they went on field trips literally like twice a week.. The next option is public school online, but he cannot stay home alone (even though he is 15!!). The public online school is free, but they'd pay me about $200 a week to "babysit" him and help him with his work for about five hours a day Monday-Friday 8am-1pm (sometimes a bit later) while they both work. I work from home any ways and normally don't run to many errands for work due to the fact I work with mostly people out of state. When I'm not able to keep him due to doctors, vacation, trips with my kids, or other reasons he will probably just go to work with my dad (he owns his own business)..

I'm just curious on thoughts on the different online public schools and which one is best, he is in tenth grade..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:26 PM on Jul. 19, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• I don't think any school will work for him since his parents don't seem to care about his behavior or his education, which causes me to question your motivation to home-school as I'm sure you were raised in a similar fashion so I have doubts that you possess the skills required to be able to instruct your children adequately.

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:35 PM on Jul. 19, 2013

• Well, I am hoping that I read that wrong, because I took that very rudely! His parents do care, they've tried everything, but his counselor has decided to try this!!

And for your information instead of assuming I wasn't educated or raised right.. I was a very good student with A's and B's. Occasional C's. Along, with taking college credits in high school, receiving a scholarship to New York, being certified in personal training, have taken a year of early childhood development, and studied two second languages; American Sign Language and Spanish. Currently back in college for political science. So, I feel I am able to adequately instruct my children..
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:44 PM on Jul. 19, 2013

• I can't see that working in any situation. In order to make it work, the child would have to WANT to learn. He sounds like he doesn't.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:46 PM on Jul. 19, 2013

• He says he just don't want to be in school because he gets bullied..

He got kicked out of the same school I graduated from. And to a point I do see that the school is a very "high up" school and like to sweep things under the rug if it could ruin their image. But I also was never bullied, so I don't know.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:54 PM on Jul. 19, 2013

• holy crap... what a rude first answer!! To insinuate that you are uneducated just because of his behavior...  smh 

Have they tried military school? I know it's not free, but it may give him some more structure if they need the help. I have seen a few online schools and for the life of me I cannot remember the names of them. I would just google them and see what you come up with.

goofygalno1

Answer by goofygalno1 at 1:04 PM on Jul. 19, 2013

• Yes I agree I thought the same thing.

And I have thought about and mentioned it to them, they say that they've thought about it, but the closest one we have to us is about 15 hours away.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:08 PM on Jul. 19, 2013

• Damn, Kristi, you're making an awful lot of assumptions about a family based on one post. It really is rude.

There are several online public schools. My stepson participates in one, although he does the work at school and not at home, in a specialized classroom. He's doing a hundred times better than he did in traditional school because there are less distractions. My one caution for you would be to make sure you can handle your brother, or have the backing of your parents, if he tries to give you trouble during the school day. You don't want to deal with a couple of toddlers plus a teenage kid with behavior problems. Have a plan of attack for discipline where everyone is on the same page before you start.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:21 PM on Jul. 19, 2013

• Oh definitely! He has never personally gave me one on one trouble. But they know anytime I watch him if I call or text they better answer and get their right then or I will drop him off with them.

**Jokingly** I told them and him once that if he didn't straighten his butt up I was taking him into the middle of nowhere (not hard around here) with nothing, but cornfields and leaving him there and he could walk home. Nevertheless he stopped what he was doing and went to his room. And then ignored me for the rest of the day. Haha.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:30 PM on Jul. 19, 2013

• Yeah, that would make it hard being that far away. I had someone tell me that my son needs military school, but I think a lot of the time it's he's having trouble with certain subjects. I had him tested and they did say that he needed some extra help. I am not sure if your parents are aware, but the school district has to do testing if your parents request it.

Maybe that's the reason for his behaviors. Maybe he just doesn't get some things and he's acting out because he doesn't know what else to do out of frustration. I know that's what was going on with my son a lot and now he seems a lot better.

Hope they can get to the bottom of it. And I have felt like you as well and have wanted to just throw my hands up and say, "I quit!" with my son, but I had to keep going... lol even though at times I wanted to choke the life out of him... lol
    goofygalno1

Answer by goofygalno1 at 2:01 PM on Jul. 19, 2013