Any good cell phone service WITHOUT having a contract?

My son & I only need talk & text- no internet for our phones. We would like to keep the same phone numbers we currently have.

I hate paying so much for Verizon when we only use it for talk & text. It's just the 2 of us on the contract & even w/ my employee discount, I think it's still too high.

Are there any good companies out there w/ no contract involved?

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 12:35 PM on Jul. 19, 2013 in Technology

• I don't use their service, but have heard good things about Straight Talk from Walmart. A friend of mine switched his entire family to that plan. They seem to love it!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:44 PM on Jul. 19, 2013

• cricket
    Sun.shine

Answer by Sun.shine at 12:49 PM on Jul. 19, 2013

• Tmobile pay as you go. Boost mobile. Verizon also has pay as you go.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:55 PM on Jul. 19, 2013

• Depends on where you live. When we lived in CO we had T-Mobile, their pay as you go plan, it's $50 a month for unlimited text, calls, and media (internet). It all worked perfectly in CO and in NV never had problems getting online or my calls, but I now live in WY and it doesn't work as well here. I can't get online at all, I can't send or receive picture texts anymore. So it depends where you live.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 1:08 PM on Jul. 19, 2013

• We live in OH

I didn't know Verizon did a pay as you go plan. That's a well-kept secret! :p
    mrsmom110

Comment by mrsmom110 (original poster) at 1:09 PM on Jul. 19, 2013

• I think they all have the pay as you go plan these days, but you have to have your own unlocked phone, or it's really expensive to buy their phone.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 1:11 PM on Jul. 19, 2013

• We love our Straight Talk phone - 45 a month for unlimited everything, no contracts. The phones aren't too expensive, either, depending on what you want.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:14 PM on Jul. 19, 2013

• Verizon sucks rocks. Make sure you aren't under contract with them if you switch because they have a sneaky way of reinstating your two-year contract automatically without telling you when you make any changes to your plan, and then charging $175 in early termination fees when you drop the service. I was part of a class action lawsuit and recovered $69 of my fee, but usually there's nothing you can do but take it up the tailpipe because the fine print of their contract says your only choice is to go to arbitration and they get to choose the arbitrator.

I'm thinking of switching to Trakfone.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:14 PM on Jul. 19, 2013

• I had a Tracfone which I was very happy with for 6 years. Then my boys' dad died & in order for them to keep their phones, the contract had to be switched to my name & they suckered me in with a "free" phone. In the meantime, my middle son jumped ship & went over to Sprint. Now it's just me & the oldest. I will be sure to find out when our contract date is up, b/c it actually took them 2 billing cycles to remove the fee from my dead ex being charged for early termination. That was a big slap in the face. :/
    mrsmom110

Comment by mrsmom110 (original poster) at 1:23 PM on Jul. 19, 2013

• My kids have a month to month plan with Virgin mobile. 300 mins talk, unlimited text and Internet for $30/month. I know you said you didn't need Internet so you might be able to get it for less, that's just their plan.

Answer by missanc at 1:31 PM on Jul. 19, 2013