AAAAAGGGHHHH!!!

How can a SINGLE 6 year old stash a 4-foot pile of JUNK in her room???? I pulled the contents of her closet, off her dresser, off her bookshelf, and out from under her bed. The pile covers the entirety of her floor space (small room) and is 3-4 feet tall.

Guess what *I'm* doing while she's out of the house on a sleepover? Yes, I'd make her do it herself, but it takes her a week to pick up all the clothes out of her room. Besides, must of what I'm picking up is paper garbage that she SWEARS is the most important thing in the world. Paper with one little scribble in the middle?

*sigh* back to that room I go.......

Rosehawk

Asked by Rosehawk at 4:14 PM on Jul. 19, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I'd be hauling all that to the middle of the room and setting a timer. In an hour, it will all go in the trash. That's the only way my kids move fast.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:17 PM on Jul. 19, 2013

• Sympathies.
    Be thankful that it isn't slices of moldy cheese stashed between the bed and the wall.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:20 PM on Jul. 19, 2013

• I so sympathize on the scraps of paper. DS always wants to keep my receipts like they are buried treasure! UGH! He collects everything so his room can be the same way. I am doing an overhaul this week while he is gone and getting rid of all the trash. Good luck with yours!
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 4:22 PM on Jul. 19, 2013

• I've treid that Julie, and her room gets even messier.

I am Dardenella, I am.
    Rosehawk

Comment by Rosehawk (original poster) at 4:24 PM on Jul. 19, 2013

• When our children were six, they were nowhere close to being able to clean or maintain their rooms. They are all intelligent and have a good work ethic. Could it be that you are expecting too much too soon?
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:31 PM on Jul. 19, 2013

• I feel your pain, honey, I really do. My five-year-old is the same way. It drives my boyfriend crazy because I can't see what's on the freaking mountains of paper. He says to just throw it all away, but I always want him to check first because by mistake, I pitched a coupon I needed for ordering live caterpillars to put in the butterfly habitat my daughter got for her birthday. And no need to say I should have kept the coupon in a safe place because I know I should have, but I didn't think to remove it from the habitat box. Good luck with the mess!
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:11 PM on Jul. 19, 2013

• I understand my boys' room is the same way and I agree it's just easier to do myself most of the time.
    betty70

Answer by betty70 at 7:41 PM on Jul. 19, 2013

• I doubt it Nanny B. She is to keep her books on her book shelf (organized would be nice but as long as they're ON the bookshelf I'm happy), her dirty clothes in the laundry basket in her room, and all her toys in the bucket/bins in her closet (the big ones with the rope handles that most people put a lot of ice and beer in).

I pulled an entire load of laundry out of her closet, and 1 1/2 bags of trash out of her room.
    Rosehawk

Comment by Rosehawk (original poster) at 7:54 PM on Jul. 19, 2013

• *sigh*

You can see the floor again. Now I need to restack ALL her books, hang the hangers that were thrown around, and vacuum. Took a break and went swimming.
    Rosehawk

Comment by Rosehawk (original poster) at 7:57 PM on Jul. 19, 2013

• I am confused how it got that way in the first place.
    Anonymous